Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:47 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: What camera to buy
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:42 am 
:) Hi, I have a Canon Powershot S2 and I scrapbook and make cards. I am undecided as to which camera would suit me better-the Canon T3i or Nikon D5100. Never had an SLR before and I am not into videography. Several friends have the Nikon and my brother in law has the Canon. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Hailey

Post subject: Re: What camera to buy
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:19 am 

Without more information (like what you plan to take pictures of) I think it's a wash. The Nikon has a bit better image quality and is a bit cheaper, but the fact you can share equipment--lenses, flashes, etc.--with your brother-in-law makes up for that (unless your friends also have a bunch of Nikon gear that they will let you use).

But it would really help to have more info - Mark

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:06 am 

how much do you really want to spend and do you really need a DSLR ? or want a DSLR ? it may suit you better to look at a good compact ?

Got some of the gear but really still no idea...:)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:53 pm 
:)
Hello,
Thanks for the info. I plan on taking pictures of my family, scrapbook pages or cards we make using stamps and landscape, life in general. I am not into big photography. I already have a canon powershot s2 which does take nice pictures.
Thanks,
Hailey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:34 am 

By "pictures of my family", I'm assuming you mean indoor candids at parties, etc. If that's the case, it's possible that you may be able to get by with a high-end compact like the Panasonic LX7 or one of the other cameras that Gordon compares it to in his review.

On the other hand, since you have people you can swap gear with, that's a good point for moving up to a DSLR. The only thing I would add is that you may want to look into buying a fast/bright (f1.8-ish) 35mm or 50mm lens. (Unless someone in your circle already has one that you can use.) But since both Nikon and Canon have affordable lenses that meet that description, that doesn't really help narrow things down.

On the plus side, it also means either camera should serve you well - Mark