Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:35 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Nikon J1 or Fuji XF1
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:18 pm 
sorry to be a bother but I'm not that good with cameras :oops:

I currently have a FujiF50fd and have really enjoyed playing with it for 4 years now, and have decided to upgrade to something that will improve picture quality as my primary focus.

I take lots of landscape pics while walking so I need something that captures much more than my F50fd, but also need something that will get the best image quality in low light again on landscapes. I'm by no means a pro and don't know that much and don't have the time to, so a manual pro DSLR wouldn't be for me, although as a sightly more expensive option I'm also interested in the X100 but it seems a bit too advanced for what I want.

Which do you think will provide the best images? the J1 or the XF1?

any advice (and abuse lol) will be much appreciated :)

ps here are some of my pics to give you an idea :) ...

http://www.myfinepix.co.uk/gallery/978811

Post subject: Re: Nikon J1 or Fuji XF1
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:25 am 

I don't think it's really fair to compare an interchangeable lens system to a fixed lens camera unless you only plan to use one lens. Which brings up the point that there isn't a native 1 mount lens that's equivalent to the lens on the XF1--there's a fast portrait lens (18mm f1.8) and a wide(-ish) pancake (10mm f2.8), but nothing both fast and wide (for low-light landscapes, like you mentioned). OTOH, I'd guess that the Nikon's larger sensor would do better in low-light.

And that brings me to why I think you should stretch your budget and go with a Sony RX100--same large size sensor as the Nikon with a lens that's just as fast as the XF1. (Granted, both lenses slow way down when zoomed in, but that shouldn't be a problem when shooting landscapes, which is your primary specified use.) Also note that, although the sensors are the same physical size, the RX100's sensor is twice the resolution. i.e. you can probably gain a stop by downscaling the image from 20MP to 10MP. As for the RX100 being too advanced, it also has a bunch of scene modes to choose from, several of which--Landscape, Sunset, Night Scene and Handheld Twilight--you might find useful.

Full disclosure, I own an RX100 - Mark

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:51 pm 
Hi Mark,

Thanks for that, I like the fixed lens thing I'd never go out and buy more lenses, I just want better quality pics than I'm getting now without having to carry lots of things, what I'm looking for would need to be a single unit.

as far as the X100 was concerned, I was thinking of the Fuji not the Sony if that makes a difference?

Thanks very much for your feedback! :D

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:43 am 

Yes, I did realize you were considering a Fuji X100. I mentioned the Sony RX100 anyway because it's half the price and size of the Fuji X100--i.e. I think it's a better value and much easier to slip into a pocket when you head out for a stroll. And I don't think the Sony RX100 is overly complex, which is something you were (rightly) concerned about with the Fuji X100. (One of the big complaints about the Fuji X100 is that the menu system isn't particularly user friendly.) Not that the Fuji X100 is a bad camera; it's actually very good. But given that it costs twice as much, I don't think it's twice as good.

The only reason I would consider the Fuji X100 over the Sony RX100 is if you need a viewfinder, which you apparently don't since neither the Nikon J1 nor the Fuji XF1 has a viewfinder. But even if you did need a viewfinder, for a similar price and size of the Fuji X100 you could get an Olympus E-M5 and Panasonic 20mm f1.7 lens, and you would gain the ability to use other lenses (which, granted, you're not particularly concerned about), 5-axis in-body image stabilization (IBIS) (which could come in very handy when shooting low-light landscapes), and a tilting LCD. (And if you wanted to get really crazy low-light performance (for an equally crazy price), you could mount a Voigtlander 17mm f0.95 lens on the E-M5. Full disclosure: I own a Voigtlander 17mm lens.)

Sorry, I probably should've mentioned all of this in my previous post - Mark

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:28 pm 
Hi Mark,

wow cheers for that!! that looks like exactly what I'm looking for! ... I think if I had £1000 to spare and some free time to go on a photography course then the Fuji or maybe a DSLR would be worth the investment, but as I have neither I reckon this Sony seems to be about the best ... I'm sure it will provide better results than my little Fuji F50fd!

Now to play the waiting game and see if it's in the January sales! :mrgreen:

Thanks once again for all the help, I would have never found this one otherwise!!!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:04 am 

Welcome to the forum! :)

Regarding the perceived complexity of DSLR cameras, that can be quite relative. The very complexity of small digital cameras drove me to what I saw as the simplicity of DSLRs. This was only a few years ago, trying an Olympus pocket-sized camera and a bit larger Sony during the 2008-2009 time period, and starting with a Canon XTi/400D in 2010. I like the simplicity of setting aperture, shutter speed, and ISO, and ignore the Scene Modes on a DSLR.

I recently handled a Sony RX100, and a Sony NEX, at an electronics store, and was totally baffled by their complexity.

Canon 7D2/7D/5D/40D/1D2N; Nikon F6/D700/FM3A/1Dx/Coolpix A; Canon 40mm 2.8 STM, 135L, 50L, 35L, 50mm 1.8 I, 100mm 2.8L Macro, 10-22mm EF-S, 400mm 5.6L; Nikkor 50mm 1.2 AI-S, 50mm 1.4G, 50mm 1.8D, 16mm 2.8D Fisheye, 180mm 2.8D, 100-300mm 5.6 AI-S, 18mm 2.8D, 45mm 2.8 AI-P, Micro 60/2.8G; Voigtlander 90mm f/3.5 SL II

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:02 am 

While I agree that perceived complexity is relative, I don't find the RX100 any more complex than my GH2 or T4i. (Yes, I own and use all three cameras.) Perhaps you would've found it easier to use if you used the scene modes on the RX100--turn it on, set the mode dial to SCN, select the scene mode you want, press the shutter. But even in manual mode: the front ring adjusts aperture, the jog wheel on the back adjusts the shutter speed, and the rocker switch on the top zooms; doesn't seem overly complex to me. Although, granted, there is no dedicated ISO button. (You have to press the Fn button twice.)

Oh, and Steve, glad I could help - Mark

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:26 pm 
cheers Mark ... whilst looking at the RX100 on Sony's site, and the diagram of sensor sizes, I was drawn to their RX1 until I saw the price! lol ... that's what I'd buy ideally I think ... big sensor in a little camera. oh well, 6 numbers may come up one day! lol :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:56 pm 

Maestro, thanks for the brief tutorial on the RX100! :) I may well re-visit the RX100, having seen how many folks like it. The ability of the EOS M and G1X to use my Canon EX flashguns, however, might keep me within the Canon brand for a compact camera, as so much of my shooting is at night. While a flashgun would certainly be comically bulky on a small camera, an off-camera cord, or using wireless flash, are better options, anyway.

hoibal, I, too, feel drawn to the RX1, though the price is daunting, indeed, especially as I would want the optional external view-finder, which would add several hundred US dollars to the total cost. One advantage, though, of being my age, in my occupation, and near retirement, is that I can "roll" some money from tax-deferred savings, without the added-tax penalty, upon retirement. It is likely that digital cameras introduced this year will still be current when I retire, so I have begun serious consideration of a gift I may acquire for myself.

Canon 7D2/7D/5D/40D/1D2N; Nikon F6/D700/FM3A/1Dx/Coolpix A; Canon 40mm 2.8 STM, 135L, 50L, 35L, 50mm 1.8 I, 100mm 2.8L Macro, 10-22mm EF-S, 400mm 5.6L; Nikkor 50mm 1.2 AI-S, 50mm 1.4G, 50mm 1.8D, 16mm 2.8D Fisheye, 180mm 2.8D, 100-300mm 5.6 AI-S, 18mm 2.8D, 45mm 2.8 AI-P, Micro 60/2.8G; Voigtlander 90mm f/3.5 SL II

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:14 pm 
RexGig you are a lucky man! lol hope you get one, I can't justify the cost at my age - priorities suck lol

Maestro - now even more confused! lol ...

I want the best quality images possible :mrgreen: ... not bothered about videos, just top quality stills :mrgreen:

I was thinking DP1/2 Merill or RX100? :? or something else? the Sigma's look great but the software (RAW) issues are the only problems that might annoy me, what do you think? :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:10 pm 
now I'm very confused lol

looking at the reviews I think that the Merill's narrow ISO operating window would wind me up aswell, along with the realisation I'd need to carry a tripod around aswell by the looks of it. Looking at the photos the way the Sigmas produce images is fantastic from what I've seen, almost like comparing normal tv to hd on some crops even against the RX100!

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/artic ... -rx100.jpg ... I love the way it picks out the tiles! it looks HD! (sigma on the left)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:49 am 

RexGig wrote:
The ability of the EOS M and G1X to use my Canon EX flashguns, however, might keep me within the Canon brand for a compact camera, as so much of my shooting is at night.

I completely understand how already having Canon gear would (and should) make you lean that way.

hoibal wrote:
I was thinking DP1/2 Merill or RX100? ... the Sigma's look great but the software (RAW) issues are the only problems that might annoy me, what do you think?

(...)

looking at the reviews I think that the Merill's narrow ISO operating window would wind me up aswell, along with the realisation I'd need to carry a tripod around aswell by the looks of it.

I agree; the poor high ISO performance, lack of stabilization, and slower (f2.8) lens will make low light landscapes without some kind of support--tripod, monopod, tree, etc.--a challenge. (And obviously, carrying a tripod with you on your evening strolls isn't very practical.) Add the proprietary RAW format and it seems to me that the RX100 would be better suited to your use.

And it's cheaper, so a better value - Mark

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:04 am 
Cheers Mark! ... I'm feeling I'm starting to get the hang of it thanks to your advice! :D

I reckon I'll get that ordered today, I found a place in the UK at £450 and offering a 5 year warranty!! ... plus Sony have £50 cashback on that camera, so I reckon £399 will be a good deal :wink:

Looking at the images I don't think the quality is that much of an issue for me as I'd never crop pictures that much, I'd just get closer lol ... everything I use is full size (maybe showing my lack of experience there lol)

I've had my current Fuji F50fd since 2007 and it's done me proud, so hopefully the Sony will be as reliable and I can upgrade to the RX1 in a few years! ... plus I bet I can get £50 for my Fuji on ebay as I've still got all the packaging, spare battery etc!

Thanks once again for all the help and advice!

Steve