Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:28 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Bentley
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:51 pm 

Took my common or garden Jeep in for service today and found this standing in the showroom. It's a 1929 Bentley 4.5 litre in a Le Mans replica body. Still in regular use apparently. Want one! If you google "Bentley UV 8081" you should find some pics of it in action on a reliability trial in Iceland. No mucking about with these boys!

Pics were taken with Sony RX100 on aperture priority and are straight from camera.

1929 Bentley 4.5 litre by warth man, on Flickr

018.JPG by warth man, on Flickr

Post subject: Re: Bentley
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:24 pm 

Beautiful car! Great shots :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:43 pm 

What a tank! This was my dream car as a kid (well the supercharged Le Mans).
Love the radiator close-up.

Pentax k-30 and k-x with DAL 18-55mm and DAL 55-300mm, Tamron 18-50mm and Camera Labs Straps.....hang on, where's my towel?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:32 am 

You and me both, Arthur, and I still wouldn't mind one! 30 years ago, in 1982, I was involved in putting together the deal that got all the past British winners (or their twins) down to Le Mans to help with the 50th anniversary celebrations. I recall that one of the Bentleys had to be insured for £250,000 even then. Others weren't cheap in that regard either but we provided a goodly proportion of the total assembled for the historic parade, with even a number of the other national makes being owned by Brits. The Bentleys were the stars for me but Jaguar C and D types weren't far behind and there were some lovely Astons and Lagondas. We also had the prepared twin of the winning Ford GT40. That was a bit tasty too. Nearly all of them were driven down, having been given a send-off by the Lord Mayor of London. At Le Mans itself we met up with past winners from Ferrari and Porsche and had a superb dinner, courtesy of Moet and Chandon in their hospitality building at the circuit. It was hosted by the Comte himself and we were treated to the sight of a French cavalry officer opening a magnum of the good stuff with his sabre - as neat an operation as you could wish for.

Needless to say, as the parade of historic cars set off sedately around the track (they were the opening event prior to the start of the 1982 race) it was not long before old rivalries took effect. The several parade laps were completed a darn sight quicker than planned! There was also an idiot in an AC who joined in "illegally" as he should not have been there and had no provenance to be there. He overtook a number of the parade cars at speed then lost control and went into the fence, wrecking his car and doing himself a bit of injury. I do not recall any sympathy for him from anyone.

Sadly I was not into photography then so I have no decent pics of my own from what was one of the best weekends of my life.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:03 am 

Great snaps and wonderful story Warth Man. Are you in any of these?

http://www.sportscardigest.com/1982-24- ... o-gallery/

How 2 the signature below?
In your profile signature, click on BBCode ( linked under options ) and read up!

Visit MrCliff on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:59 pm 

That sure is a beauty WM. I know cars are for driving, but if I owned it I wouldn't be using it in races! (tbh it would only be getting the odd run out of the heated garage :lol: )

Great story AD. 8)

Nice find Mr Cliff. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:36 am 

That's a good site find Mr Cliff. I checked out all the images and all I can say is that I might have been in one of them but I can't pick myself out. It does all make me think that perhaps it's time I went to Le Mans again. And a lottery win to get one of these Bentleys would be nice too!