Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:14 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:11 am 

Hi,

I have never used a DSLR camera before. Till today i've always snapped shots either from a compact standard or my smartphone lol. Nevertheless im a very quick learner and Hope someone with the know-how can help

With our online Womens Fashion business I'm constantly faced with taking snaps of Clothes, accessories, etc. Currently the best i've done is landed a back drop with 2 daylight 5400k bulbs, reflectors and a targetting mannequin

I have no clue which DSLR to purchase for a beginner. The focal point being focusing on Mannequin clothes modelling. Our budget is around £300 but ofcourse if absolutely required it can be stretched but as the Cam is currently only required for a single purpose how much do i need to fork out? What kind of Brand would best suit the job and ofcourse if you can point out which DSLR model is most purposeful.

Sorry for the long speech but i just want to make sure i get it right the first time

Look fwd to anyones advice :) Thanks in adv!!

Athar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:07 am 

With that budget i think you are limited to the low entry level dslr such as the Nikon 3100 or a canon 1100d.

You may want to go to a camera shop hold them, look at them and compare them side by side.

Got some of the gear but really still no idea...:)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:14 pm 

Thank you so much for your reply!!

I have made note of both Models will certainly visit a local store in our home town to check them out on Saturday

There is something crucial I wanted to add. One of the problems I face is taking pictures of Jackets, Jumpers or accessories with 'Fur'. Obviously Compact Cameras are useless in defining detail when it comes to complex colours, vivid screen focals, etc. I use adobe photoshop to then Mask the image and work on a cleaner background which in most cases is White. The above 2 models which were mentioned...will these provide better detailing? Or should I opt for a better priced DSLR to automate focal correction and colour disparity from the image and background?

Athar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:40 pm 

Obviously the more you spend the better the technology.

You can however buy a higher quality lens for the body but again the additional lens will probably be of the same value as the camera body.

The dslr will give you control of where to focus and also give much more control on exposure. The sensor in the camera is bigger than in your typical compact so should provide you with an increase in quality.

Go to a store and try them out.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:10 pm 

I dont wanna pick your brains as you've provided relevant info already....but hope you can help just an incy wincy bit more.

The models you mentioned which I checked online come without the lenses as well as with a 18-55mm lense. Im assuming im to opt for the one with the lense. Also is 18-55 (though I understand its standard) most purposeful for what I need to do on a basic level? Or should I opt for a different lense to be bought together with the DSLR to save money?

One last question (sorry lol...as you can see im a little despo to get things right the first time).

I'm currently using a mueslin white back drop, 2 daylight 5400k large bulbs supported with cheap umbrella-like reflectors. If there anything you can suggest which I may not have or may need for shooting manequinned clothing shots for better returns? Any other accessories (apart from a tripod as im already planning on getting one since my hands are not so steady)? Is there a better Back Drop facility available where the light reflects better to provide a more brighter background (maybe a solid sheet rather then the Mueslin drop)

Really appreciate your help

Athar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:59 pm 

The entry level lens that comes with the camera is probably your best bet as it provides a good zoom range. As I said before if you are looking to upgrade your lens then you will have to nearly double your budget.

As for backdrops I'm sorry I don't know much about them but I would assume hat you don't want use anything that glares so a heavy mat type material may be better. Sorry I'm not that kind of photographer...