Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:13 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:26 am 

I imagine "Displays" is the right place to share this. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
OK, so the thing is that I enjoy shooting film. The problem is that it's expensive when compared to digital, which costs virtually nothing. So in a search to bring down the price per roll I thought I try to build a projector so I can see the photos and choose if there are any I want to print. At the lab it costs 3 Euros and a bit to develop (regular C-41) and if you ask they don't cut it or anything and with a projector I could take a look at them. I know that the colors will be inverted with the film I use and that I can have the roll scanned or sort of do It myself with my DSLR, but I really want to build one just for the fun of it. I just love building things. That's why I study engineering.
So, after about 20 minutes of work I had this :lol: :
Imagen2425 by Ivan Manko, on Flickr
(Apologies for the quality, taken with a cell phone in a dark room...)
As you can imagine the box on top goes inside the one of cornflakes and contains the light bulb and the film which aligns with the lens (a Canon 24-70, the same I used to take the photos). The inner box slides back and forward so I can focus and adjust the size if the "screen". Of course I can also use the zoom and the focusing ring of the lens. And that's it!! As pathetic as it looks, but it works. Sort of. It's main problem is that there is not enough light. You can berely see anything on the wall (You do however on a nearer sheet of paper if refocused) I need something much, much more powerful. And of course you don't want a massive incandescent light bulb in a cardboard box; bad recipe.
So when I finish exams I'll make a decent one, probably of wood and with a much more powerful and cooler light source.
I hope it works. Have you ever done something like this? Anything important I should know? (I mean, I've considered way more things that I’ve mentioned here, but still may have missed something). And if you're interested I'll post the final result.

Saludos!
Ivan Manko

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:45 am 

Cool ghetto projector! :D
And yes, show us the result!

The only things i would mention depending on the lamp you choose, watch out for heat!

Another thing, I am sure you can get an old film projector thrown after you on a flee-market?

Borrowed my grandfathers old film projector some few years ago, kinda cool to just sit down a view images like this:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:18 pm 

Actually, I really like this picture, Lorride!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:03 pm 

Great little project you've got there, Ivan. well done. 8)
Could you use LED's to negate the risk of heat/fire? (even cheap cycle lights?)

I also like your pc Lorride. Very `moody` 8)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:36 am 
hi
cool,tremendus,gorgious page.i like all pics posted here