Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:45 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:50 pm 

UPDATE: My full review and verdict is here.

Yep, the rumors were true: Nikon announced today a smaller, lighter, cheaper version of the famous AF-S 70-200/2.8G VRii.
It's 78.0x178.5mm / 3.1x7.0 in. (Diameter x Length) vs. 87 x 205.5 mm / 3.4 x 8.1 in. for its larger sibling
and weighs 850g / 30.0 oz. vs. 1,540 g/3.4 lb for the 70-200/2.8G VRii.

List price is 1400 USD (vs. 2400) or 1379 EUR (incl. 19% VAT), this NOT including the tripod-collar ring, which is sold as an extra for 180 USD.

The new and improved image-stabilization VRiii claims to deliver up to 5 stops of stabilization, which is one stop better than the previous claim.
Minimum focus distance is 1m / 3.28 ft. (vs. 1.4m) and has a maximum magnification of 1:3.6x (vs. 1:8.3) which is quite useful.
The filter-thread is 67mm (vs. 77mm), which allows the use of cheaper filter as than on its larger sibling.
The MTF-curves look extremely promising, esp. at the tele end (200mm). So this is certainly an interesting lens to compare to the 70-200/2.8G VRii.

It should hit shops by end of November.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:49 am 

This is very tempting... but at that price you could grab a like-new last generation 70-200 2.8 with VR, even a second hand this generation 70-200 could probably be found on Craigslist or eBay for only a few hundred more. I'll make my decision based on reviews once this is released, if the optics are equal or superior so the 2.8 version, I may bite. however, you'd unfortunately lose a stop of brightness and even with VRIII, what good is it unless you're shooting a static subject?

I'm hoping that this will at least bring the 80-200 down in price a few hundred, I'm surprised at how low the prices of some older AF telephotos can go. That being said though, even once my decision is made, it'll be a few months before I can come up with the cash...

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:10 am 
I wish they came with a 100-300mm finally or 70-300mm but then with professsional quality.
The 200mm is too short, for me the fun starts after the 200mm most of the time.

Nice lens though and F4 sounds good enough for those foal lentghs, assuming it performs well wide open...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:31 am 

Would be interesting to see how it performs against the Nikon AF-S 70-300/4.5-5.6G VRii. That should be pretty good up to 200mm.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:42 am 

Btw, there's good news as to shrinking: The new lens shrinks only 15% at minimum focus distance of 1m (i.e. loses around 30mm effective focal length).
Whereas the Nikon AF-S 70-200/2.8G VRii loses around 33% (=67mm) at its min focus distance of 1,4m.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:44 am 
Quote:
...this NOT including the tripod-collar ring, which is sold as an extra for 180 USD.
I was quite excited when this lens was announced then very disappointed when I noticed the extra cost for the tripod collar. :(

I am new to the DSLR world but shouldn't the tripod collar be included with the lens? Oh well, I am still interested in reading the first reviews of this lens.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:05 pm 

The lens now seems to arrive on the streets - at least in Austria.
Eagerly waiting for my review-copy...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:36 am 

Vertical wrote:
I am new to the DSLR world but shouldn't the tripod collar be included with the lens?

Hey, Vertical, welcome to the forums!

Regarding tripod collars, if this was a 2.8 lens which would make it much heavier and larger, then perhaps I would've liked to see it as standard. However, considering how light this lens is, it really isn't necessary unless you'll be doing constant tripod shots. Besides, I'm sure there'll b better, cheaper 3rd party options available not too long after launch, plus the usual slew of Chinese eBay knockoffs. Besides, be grateful about at least getting a lens hood. Canon doesn't include collars OR hoods as standard.

It looks like some review and first impressions have been popping up over the web, things are looking good. Optics are on par or even superior to the 70-200 f4, this lens definitely deserves a look from those looking for a tele-zoom.

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:06 pm 

Shops in Germany start now filling with the lens too...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:50 pm 

Mine is here. Feverishly working on a (p)review with at least some first results from this new lens perhaps completing the full review at a later point. Results so far look very promising. A comparison to the AF-S 70-200/2.8G VR well reveal how good the lens really is.
See you then...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:43 am 

I've uploaded some of my material in my flickr set.
Weather is not optimal for going the full mile, but I hope that it will improve next week.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:36 pm 

My review (part 1) is out here!
Still waiting for clearer weather to get better shots at the "Unremarkables". Plus testing the new and improved VR version 3, plus my take on bokeh, etc.
All coming up in my review part 2...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:52 am 

I'm really looking forward to a review / comparison of this, Nikon 70-200 f/4, and the new Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 VC. Will you be reviewing the new VC Tamron soon?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:36 pm 

Hello damianvines, and welcome to the friendly Camera Labs forum!
To enjoy your stay here please have a look at the house-rules!
----
I hope to get a review-copy of the new Tamron as soon as it is available. But I have no confirmed release-dates yet...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:34 am 
Thanks for part one of your review Thomas. I am eagerly awaiting part two.

EvanK - I agree that the lighter weight of the lens would not necessarily require the use of a tripod collar. But I can't help thinking that if you add the cost of the collar to the lens you are within about $400 of the 2.8.

Oh well, it still looks like it's shaping up to be a great lens.