Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:46 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:59 pm 
I've been taking photos for quite some time but never really picked a certain photography that I liked. Well it wasn't until recently that I liked Macro Photography. I'm trying to figure out What camera would be best used for that kind of photography?

I would like something compact but still able to change lenses. My budget is less than $1000 or 625pounds.

Can someone help me please?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:02 pm 

Hi & welcome.

When you say macro, is there anything specific? static objects, bugs, or both?

Reason i'm asking is there are some cheaper, shorter focul length lenses which would be fine for most things, but if shooting bugs/bees etc you'll need to get quite close to your subject & often they get spooked easily.....& fly off. IF you can manage to get a 105mm Nikon, with VR which can make a big difference (or any other manufacturers equivalent) you don't need to get quite as close.
Trouble is though, they would take up most of your budget new. You should be able to buy a pre-owned one though for much less.

The camera body is less important than the lens, but you may still struggle a bit with your budget.

There are other options by using `reversing rings` on standard lenses, extension tubes etc. but I don't know enough about them tbh, so hopefully one of the macro shooters can help out.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:05 pm 
I like taking photos of flowers and bugs.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:01 am 

Welcome to the forum! :)

Canon seems to offer a better selection of macro lenses than does Nikon. Moreover, Nikon macro lenses can be used on Canon camera, with an adapter, but not vice versa, which also suggests Canon to be the better choice. Third party lenses, however, should be considered, which makes the Canon-versus-Nikon choice largely moot.

I started DSLR photography with a Canon XTi, which is a Canon USA name for what was sold in most of the world as the 400D. My wife bought it from a co-worker, with an small assortment of lenses, the best of which is the Tokina 100mm 2.8 Macro, a quite good lens, which Tokina makes for both Canon and Nikon cameras. The body of the lens does extend during focusing.

I later bought a Canon EF 100mm Macro 2.8L, which is sealed against dust and moisture, and does not extend while focusing, which are sometimes important factors for me when using it at work. (I use this lens extensively for crime scene/forensic photography, sometimes in the rain or heavy fog.)

Canon makes an EF 180mm Macro, which is very well-regarded, which allows one to have a bit more distance from living subjects, such as insects and spiders, which might not be comfortable at the working distance of shorter focal length lenses. Nikon's counterpart is a Nikkor 200mm, which also
seems well-regarded. I do not yet have personal experience with either of these, though both are being considered for future purchase, as I am not totally devoted to either Canon or Nikon cameras, and use both.

The Canon MP-E 65mm 2.8 1-5x is a truly remarkable lens, usable only as a true Macro lens, as it cannot focus at infinity, as can the other Canon macro lenses. A local acquaintance, who is otherwise a Nikon-only shooter, bought a Canon 60D, specifically so he could use this particular lens. I have seen some beautiful images he has taken with this combination.

If one wants to shoot insects and other creatures, keep in mind that the various 40mm to 60mm macro lenses on the market require the shooter to get very, very close to the subject to achieve a 1:1 or 1:2 image, and most living subjects are not going to tolerate that, as they will, understandably, think the lens is about to eat or crush them. Keep in mind that the distance listed in specification charts, unless otherwise stated, is measured from the camera's sensor, not the outer element of the lens.

I am not a highly-experienced macro shooter, so I hope others will reply to this thread, with their
experiences, and to comment on the lenses, especially the Zeiss, Tamron, and Sigma macro lenses.

Canon 7D2/7D/5D/40D/1D2N; Nikon F6/D700/FM3A/1Dx/Coolpix A; Canon 40mm 2.8 STM, 135L, 50L, 35L, 50mm 1.8 I, 100mm 2.8L Macro, 10-22mm EF-S, 400mm 5.6L; Nikkor 50mm 1.2 AI-S, 50mm 1.4G, 50mm 1.8D, 16mm 2.8D Fisheye, 180mm 2.8D, 100-300mm 5.6 AI-S, 18mm 2.8D, 45mm 2.8 AI-P, Micro 60/2.8G; Voigtlander 90mm f/3.5 SL II

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:34 am 

My previous reply did not really take your budget into consideration, though the Tokina 100mm 2.8 macro, plus a pre-owned DSLR, should be within your range of affordablity. The Canon 400D (XTi in the USA) is a wonderful camera, with a self-cleaning feature for the sensor, and 10 MP. I started DSLR shooting with an XTi, and it is still a very capable camera. I am not sure which model Nikon is equivalent.

Canon 7D2/7D/5D/40D/1D2N; Nikon F6/D700/FM3A/1Dx/Coolpix A; Canon 40mm 2.8 STM, 135L, 50L, 35L, 50mm 1.8 I, 100mm 2.8L Macro, 10-22mm EF-S, 400mm 5.6L; Nikkor 50mm 1.2 AI-S, 50mm 1.4G, 50mm 1.8D, 16mm 2.8D Fisheye, 180mm 2.8D, 100-300mm 5.6 AI-S, 18mm 2.8D, 45mm 2.8 AI-P, Micro 60/2.8G; Voigtlander 90mm f/3.5 SL II