Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:28 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:51 am 

I had an opportunity to take some sunset photos using both a D80 and a D90, using the program mode. I usually prefer the Program mode to Automatic as I think the results are more pleasing. Everything, including white balance, was at factory default settings. My wife was using one camera while I was using the other, so the pictures were taken very close together. The pictures are in jpeg format. I would attach them, but they are huge files and I don't know how. You may not need them.
The photos from the D80 had much more vivid color with darker sky but brighter and stronger reds in the sunset. The processor in the D90 made the photos lighter, looking as if taken earlier in the day. The photos from the D80 were closer to what my mind’s eye remembered while the ones from the D90 were washed out in comparison.
I also took a shot with the D90 of the moon shining through a tree. It was actually nighttime, but the camera adjusted the exposure to look like early evening, showing the entire park, losing the dramatic effect.
In bright daylight, the D80 gives more vivid colors while the D90 offers more shadow detail, although appearing just slightly washed out. Overall, I like the finished product much better in the D80.
Is there any adjustment I can do to make the D90 process more like the D80, or is this a factory setting?
Thanks,

You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:57 am 

Well you're in Program mode, which isn't the best basis for being creative.

Matrix Metering, I presume?

In which case at night I would dial in some negative Exposure compensation, and for sunsets you're dealing with a high dynamic range - again -ive exposure comp will bring the highlights down and give you more colour in your skies. You might end up with darker shadows, so set your Dynamic Lighting in the menu to High or Auto and that will help bring up the shadows. Try adjusting your picture settings in the D90's menu to Vivid and you'll get more saturated images.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:49 am 

You could try shooting in RAW and JPEG as the RAW file will give you more post processing options.

Some settings on the D90 you can check are:
Picture control, which has settings for things like sharpening, saturation, brightness, filter effects, toning and hue.
Active D-Lighting, which has high to low settings as well as an off setting.

You can also adjust the images in the camera with the retouch menu.

http://keystrokesukimages.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:31 pm 

Thanks to both of you.
On the D90, is D-Lighting and Dynamic Lighting the same? I would assume so, but I think it is better to ask in advance than come home with some lousy shots.
A related question if I may. My D80 has a setting for Night Landscape, which I have used very successfully. This is lacking on the D90. Are there any settings (presets?) or programs I can use on the D90 to get comparable results? There is Night Portrait setting, but this cuts down on my depth of field too much.
Thanks,

You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:53 pm 

Well - my methods are from the olf film days with manual cameras.

I usually meter in aperture priority and view results on the screen, adjusting exposure compensation as necessary.

If it is doo dark for the meter, I switch to manual, use the shutter speed and aperture I estimate to be close to the mark, and check the results on the screen and with the histogram (if necessary) and adjust as appropriate - all on a tripod, of course, but sometimes I get lazy and put the ISO up!

Isn't digital wonderful - you can check instantly.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:42 am 

Thanks, Hilary. I know that will help me get the picture I want, but what I'm really trying to do is to see if there is a way I can get the D90 to work automatically as well as the D80. I realize that sounds as if I am going backwards, but I was so impressed with the results from the D80.
Since the camera has a screen to verify results, probably is best to start with a small aperture for greatest depth of field, let the camera set shutter, and as you say, work in manual from there.
Only other option I can see is to somehow convince my wife to use the 90 instead of the 80, but she has seen the difference and I don't stand much chance. Maybe she'll let me borrow it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:42 pm 

Yes I think some places describe D-Lighitng as dynamic lighting

From page 109 of the Users Manual

Selecting Nikon Picture Controls
The camera offers six preset Picture Controls. In P, S, A, and M modes, you can choose
a Picture Control according to the subject or type of scene (in other modes, the
camera selects a Picture Control automatically).

And Page 119 talks about D-Lighting (with page 212 discussing retouch D-Lighting)

Active D-Lighting preserves details in highlights and shadows, creating photographs
with natural contrast. Use for high contrast scenes, for example when
photographing brightly lit outdoor scenery through a door or window or taking
pictures of shaded subjects on a sunny day. To use Active D-Lighting:
1 Select matrix metering.
Matrix metering (Z, pg. 87) is recommended when using Active D-Lighting.
2 Select Active D-Lighting.
In the shooting menu (pg. 165), highlight Active
D-lighting and press 2.

If the D-80 gives you access to something like the picture controls on the D-90 you may be able to set up your own custom setting to replicate the results you are getting on the D-80 body. These pages may help
http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/microsi ... mation.htm
http://digital-photography.wonderhowto. ... lr-373112/

http://keystrokesukimages.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:19 am 

Thanks for the links. Very helpful, especially the "How To".
Really appreciate it. Now I'm all charged up and ready to get out there.
Thakns again.