Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:41 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:52 pm 

The Tamron SP 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro 1:1 VC USD was officially announced. Here's the details from Tamron:
-------------------------
Tamron announces the redesign of their legendary 90mm Macro lens, equipped with VC ( Vibration Compensation) and USD ( Ultrasonic Silent Drive)
Tamron Co., Ltd. (President and CEO: Morio Ono / Headquarters: Saitama City), a leading manufacturer of optical equipment, announced the development of a next generation 90mm Macro lens for full-size SLR cameras. The lens features completely redesigned optics, a proprietary VC ( Vibration Compensation)*1, and USD ( Ultrasonic Silent Drive)*2.
Product Features
1. Tamron has updated their legendary 90mm Macro lens with a new, state-of-the-art optical design. The lens, reborn for the age of digital photography, offers VC ( Vibration Compensation) and USD ( Ultrasonic Silent Drive).
2. Adopting a state-of-the-art optical design and a rounded diaphragm*4, this lens carries on the long tradition of Tamron’s 90mm Macro lens in delivering spectacular blur effects. Two XLD*5 (Extra Low Dispersion) glasses and one LD ( Low Dispersion) element reduce chromatic aberrations, yielding sharp images and outstanding resolution.
3. Tamron’s newly developed eBAND (Extended Bandwidth & Angular-Dependency) Coating*6 delivers a dramatic improvement in antireflection performance—significantly reducing flare and ghosting for clearer, crisper images.
4. The VC ( Vibration Compensation) image stabilization mechanism reduces camera shake to deliver sharp images.*7
5. Features USD ( Ultrasonic Silent Drive) to power a speedy AF drive together with a continuous manual focus mechanism.
6. Incorporates IF ( Internal Focus) system, which focuses by moving only the internal lens group, rather than the front lens elements. The overall length of the lens therefore does not change when focusing, thus ensuring a broad working distance.
7. Moisture-resistant construction helps prevent moisture from penetrating the lens.
---------------technical data--------------
Focal length: 90mm; Maximum aperture: F/2.8; Minimum aperture: F/32
Angle of view (diagonal): 27°02′ (with full-size SLR cameras), 17°37′ (with APS-C sized sensor digital SLR cameras)
Lens construction: 14 elements in 11 groups
Minimum focus distance: 0.3m (11.8 in)
Maximum magnification ratio: 1:1
Working distance: 139mm (5.5 in)
Filter size: Ø 58mm
Length: 114.5mm (4.5 in)*
Entire length: 122.9mm (4.8 in)*
Diameter: Ø 76.4mm
Weight: 550g (19.4 oz)*
No. of diaphragm blades: 9 (rounded diaphragm)
Standard accessory: Lens hood
Compatible mounts: Canon, Nikon, Sony
-------------------------------------------
unfortunately I couldn't find any delivery dates or prices...

Tamron is penetrating its lens line with image stabilization. Which is always good for us Nikonians or Cannonites!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:45 am 

And here's a photo of it:

The limiter can be set to full/0.5m-infinity/0.3-0.5m.

To integrate the image stabilization (VC) Tamron certainly had to adapt the optical formula a bit. So although I'd expect this macro to perform on a very high level, don't simply expect this lens to perform equal to its non-stabilized equivalent, the SP AF 90mm 2.8 Di Makro 1:1, which had the following technical data: Lens-elements/groups: 10/9; standard AF-motor; min focus distance: 0.29m; smallest aperture: f/32; filter-thread: 55mm; size (diam./length): 71.5 x 97 mm; weight: 405g, and is currently sold for around 400 EUR (incl. 19% VAT).
As you can see the new lens has a more complex design with 14 elements in 11 groups vs. 10 elements in 9 groups.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:40 pm 

From B&H: price for preorder: 849 USD, "will ship after Fri, Nov 30", whatever that means...

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:44 am 

Checked prices today, and saw the price had dropped from €729 to €499, anyone has some experience with this lens yet?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:16 am 

There is now even a 50 Euro cashback on this lens (in the Netherlands).