Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:34 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Nikon D600
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:25 pm 
After watching so many excellent Camera Labs reviews (thank you so much for them!) & reading countless magazines I finally went to Jessops yesterday to buy a Canon 5D Mark II. However, I was completely thrown by the very knowledgeable member of staff who brought out the Nikon D600 which he thought would suit me better, and he proceeded to point out everything he liked about it.

I held the Canon 5D but didn't really take to the 'feel' of it straight away. On the other hand I liked the grip of the Nikon and its smaller chunkier size. I have read more about it since then and it appears that a large number of people 'out there' prefer it to the Canon.

Unfortunately there's no Camera Labs review as yet so I thought I'd ask advice here in the forum.

Also I'd previously decided to buy a Canon EF 100mm f2.8L Macro IS USM Lens so would have to find an equivalent Nikkor. Having just read the Camera Labs Nikkor lens reviews I now think that the working distance of the micro lenses would not be enough for the insect shots I would be interested in taking as I'd frighten them away too easily. More confusion and worry over which lens it would have to be!

Anyway, I would really appreciate some advice and would like to know what people think of the Nikon D600, especially compared to the Canon 5D Mark II.

(I'm upgrading from my ancient Sony A100 so I'm going to notice a huge improvement whatever I buy!)

Post subject: Re: Nikon D600
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:37 pm 

Hi & welcome.

You've done exactly the right thing, which is tried them out physically in store & found which is most comfortable in YOUR hands.

Re the macro lens. Nikon's 105mm F2.8 macro is a great lens. viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3271 (it should be a decent portrait lens on the D600 too) Don't worry too much about it not being long enough/getting too near, that's more about technique tbh (unless there is something specific you'll be shooting that you KNOW it won't work with) You can get longer lenses, but even though they might be as sharp, they tend to be difficult to hand hold & without VR you'l likely end up with blurred shots.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:05 pm 
Thanks Carlos, that's very helpful and I appreciate it :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:31 pm 

You're welcome Jane.

Just found a review here; http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Nikon ... _f2-8G_VR/ by Thomas I believe, from earlier this year. (2 pages. Highly recommended)

Some colourful & creative pics on your Flickr page btw. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:14 am 

You've made a nice choice.

I've just reviewed the D600 for a local magazine, comparing to the D800 and my own D700

It's got great IQ but limited focal point coverage in the viewfinder which may or may not be a problem. Good news, however, is that the autofocus is accurate and fast (something which was sometimes found lacking on the 5D MkII)

Add in the smaller size, manageable file size compared with the huge 36.3MP D800, and some new features, you've got yourself a winner.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:15 am 

And check out DigitalRevTV on youtube - they'll be doing a D600 vs 5D MkII comparison in the near future.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:50 pm 

If the ergonomics of cameras are important, I would like to point out that the newest Canons, starting with the 7D and 5D Mark III, feel much different than their predecessors, while the newest generation of Nikons tends to be more like bricks in the hand. In the past, I preferred the feel of Nikons, but that changed with my purchase of my first Canon 7D. My latest trip to a "big box" retailer, to handle a D800, D600, 5D Marks II and III, and 7D, in one visit, confirmed this trend. (My "gold standard" for ergonomics is my Nikon F6, which, though still currently listed, dates from the the time of the ergonomically wonderful D2-series of Nikon professional digital cameras.)

Of course, this is going to vary from person to person, but I have noticed on various forums that many others, too, seem to be disappointed in the handling characteristics of the newest Nikons. Of particular note is the thumb-rest area.

Obviously, ergonomics would have to be very important to be the sole reason one would spend well over a thousand more USD to buy the 5D Mark III, rather than the Mark II.

As for a macro lens for insects, consider the excellent 180mm from Canon and the 200mm Nikkor, both
of which are well-regarded, and provide more working distance than the 100/105mm lenses. If your
passion is for an individual lens, let that drive your purchase, rather than the camera brand. One can learn to use any brand of camera, and if shooting macro with a tripod, ergonomics will not be so critical, as the tripod is holding the camera. This is why I am considering the very uncomfortable brick-like D800E as an eventual purchase, as I would use it with a tripod.

Canon 7D2/7D/5D/40D/1D2N; Nikon F6/D700/FM3A/1Dx/Coolpix A; Canon 40mm 2.8 STM, 135L, 50L, 35L, 50mm 1.8 I, 100mm 2.8L Macro, 10-22mm EF-S, 400mm 5.6L; Nikkor 50mm 1.2 AI-S, 50mm 1.4G, 50mm 1.8D, 16mm 2.8D Fisheye, 180mm 2.8D, 100-300mm 5.6 AI-S, 18mm 2.8D, 45mm 2.8 AI-P, Micro 60/2.8G; Voigtlander 90mm f/3.5 SL II

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:50 am 

Can't say I worried too much about the thumb grip on the D800 or D600 (less sculpted than before)

Maybe Nikon are getting sick of repairing thumb grips which come off. My D700's is on its way out, as was my D90's. Time will tell...

I was surprised by the build quality of the D600 - considering its the same size as the D7000 in effect, which replaced my D90, the quality is good and far less plastic.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:27 pm 
Thank you all very much for this very helpful input. I intend to buy the Nikon next week, all being well and I can't wait to get to grips with it!
Best wishes,
Jane