Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:43 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:36 pm 

And here's the re-test of the Nikon 85/1.4G on the D800 in preparation for the shootout. With the same tests-targets and same development those shots are 100% comparable to the results from my Nikon 85/1.8G review.
It complements my 1.4G review done earlier on the D300 and D700 here.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:02 pm 

Hi! When is the comparison be published on cameralabs.com? I have been eagerly waiting for it. I am particularly interested in Sigma 85mm 1.4 vs Nikon 85mm 1.8G.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:49 pm 
Hey Thomas, thanks a million for that amazing comparison test! I'm looking forward to get a 85mm myself and your test has definitely cleared up my mind, it's the 1.8G for me! :wink:

Cheers!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:25 pm 

Yeah, here it is: http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Nikon ... omparison/
The result of over 3000 shots with four large aperture 85mm primes on a D800. That was hard work, and it's a pleasure to have Gordon publish my 4-way shootout here on Camera Labs.
So if you ever though about getting one of these sought-after lenses, you should definitely have a look and see how the performance compares and which lens would be the ideal tool for you.

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:30 am 

Thanks for the comparison.

From what I read in many forums, Sigma performs best in terms of AF performance, i.e. AF (i) speed; (ii) accuracy; and (iii) repeatability.

With taking into account the caveat you mention in your Sigma review, which lens' AF would perform better, say, in a condition where my kid runs towards my camera 10 meters away or vice versa or she plays with the dog within 10 meters range (running from left to right, move towards and away from the camera) while there are also other subjects and (mostly stable, but sometimes moving) people within the frame? In such conditions which lens can more fastly and accuretely focus and re-focus, and if needed, continuously focus better?

I am torn between Nikon 85mm 1.8G and Sigma 85mm 1.4, and AF performance will probably determine my decision. Even though I know there are much better lenses such as 70-200 VRII in terms of AF, 1) I don't own that lens; 2) I may never own it for monetary purposes; 3) even if I own it at 85mm these primes would better isolate my subject. As a matter of fact, I am not looking for an 85mm prime alternative, even if such alternative's AF may perform better. However, if you say that none of the 85mm primes you have reviewed can do the job in the above-mentioned scenerios, then I may seriously consider an alternative.

Thanks!

PS. I will really appreciate if you can evaluate my question from two perspectives where, with regard to Sigma 85mm, in the first one, I would "let the lens pre-focus to get in the right ballpark regarding focus-distance and then focus a second time to nail the shot" as you mention in your review; and in the second one, I would not deal with such an hassle-- by the way, even if I am willing to deal with that hassle and really get accustomed to it, does not that inherently affect AF performance, especially speed?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:06 pm 

I'm not an action/sports shooter. So I don't have any experience with continuous AF in the situation you described. Sorry!
---
I received some questions regarding Bokeh at smaller apertures
Here's the row of images down to f4.0, resp. f5.6. So it's easy to judge for yourself:
- Nikon 85f1.4G @f1.4, f2.0, f2.8, f4.0
- Sigma AF 85f1.4 @f1.4, f2.0, f2.8, f4.0
----
- Nikon 85f1.8G @f1.8, f2.8, f4.0, f5.6
- Nikon 85f1.8D @f1.8, f2.8, f4.0, f5.6
- Nikon 85/1.4G @f1.8, f2.8, f4.0, f5.6 (with comparable subject)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:13 pm 

Btw., here are the focus-speeds:
Sigma AF 85/1.4 EX was the fastest with around 0.5 sec from infinity to MFD. Nikon AF-S 85/1.8G came in second at 0.6 sec and Nikon AF-S 85/1.4G was the slowest at 0.8 sec.
I did not measure the old Nikon AF 85/1.8D but had the impression that it was pretty fast, too.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:34 am 
Nice review. I really don't understand the highly recommended rating for the sigma. It looks like it has loads and loads of CA on the testcharts-shots. Oke we are not shooting test charts all the time of course so maybe it is less of a problem in real life but it looks quite horrible on the test charts. The Nikkors seem to have the CA better under control (although it is there too in some charts).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:15 pm 

Well, the Sigma did earn "only" a Recommended rating. See here.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:29 am 
A oke, sorry I think I misread it. Both Nikkor AF-S where highly recommended.
Thats why i never buy 3rd party, cause Nikkor lenses are always better.