Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:56 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Full frame vs DX lenses
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:51 pm 
Hello,

I am secretly dreaming about owning a Nikon D600 body to upgrade my Nikon D7000 DX body. Now I was thinking do I also need to replace most of my lenses if I do that?

I use Nikkor AF-S 12-24mm lens which is a DX lens
I use Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Micro lens
I use 70-300mm F4.5-F5.6G ED VR lens.

I figured I should keep the 70-300mm.

But the 12-24mm and 60mm will probably have to go. Any idea how much it will cost me to replace two lenses.
I also don't want to lose macro. 2nd hand can be an option too.

Both my 60mm and my 12-24mm Nikkors are one of the best lenses you can get so I don't really want to change to lesser quality lenses just for the sakes of full frame. You guys understand my problem?

I mainly want full frame because of better ISO Noise performance, dynamic range and colordepth.
If the D600 does have buffer problems like the D7000 in Continous mode I don't want it (buffer gets full after 2 secs/12 shots on D7000).

I was just wondering if there would be any way to sell my old lenses and buy something similar for a full frame (i.e. 2nd hand) without losing too much money, I have no idea where to begin. I dont see a 85m Macro lens for full frame for example and I prefer to stick to Nikkor optics and not 3rd party (cause that is very rarely better).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:12 pm 

Why not keep all of them?
The 60/2.8 is already a FX-lens so you can easily continue shooting macros with it.
Ant the 12-24 would have to be replaced by a 16-35/4.0 VR which would cost you a bob just to have 24MP resolution. With the 12-24 in DX-mode on a D600 you#ll still resolve 11MP and be a happy camper. That way you need much less money to upgrade to FX...

Think about it!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:46 am 
Well the 60mm can work for macro still on full frame but I think it becomes to short for people fotos as I call it.
Now I use it just walking around at parties or on the street and make fanastic shots of people I meet. Not really portrets but just very good pics nonetheless and I don't want to loose that. Although I heard the Tamron 90mm Macro F2.8 is supposed to be good, but I really prefer to stay with nikkor optics. The nikkor 105mm is too long for the street /portrets etc I think, because now most of the time 60mm is oke but sometimes already a few millimeter too long on DX. For me 85mm or 90mm would be perfect on full frame.

Also the 12-24mm can be used on full frame from 18mm onwards i read somewhere but then it only goes to 24mm in full frame.

I bought my 12-24mm second hand so if i can find a used 16-35mm F4 somewhere then it would also not be to much of a loss.
and maybe the 60mm macro i can trade it in for a 85 or 90mm lens. I just don't know if i get back the same optical quality.

I don't want to do street and people photos with my 70-300mm because the aperture starts at F4.5 which is not all that great for that particular purpose plus the 1,5 meter minimum focus distance is not really helping too much either, it is fine for the zoo and nature and stuff like that.

Any other thoughts are welcome.