Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:37 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: focus problems
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:00 pm 
My Panasonic DMC Fz47 has given me focus problems from day 1, and I wonder if it is me or the camera (several months old).
I do not like having to trust the little green box to tell me it is focused when through the viewfinder it looks out of focus. I have to play back to see if I actually got a photo. But I have adjusted to that. However, more and more lately as I aim at something, especially in telephoto, it starts to focus in the viewfinder, then goes past, and either the whole picture is a total blur, or it refuses to focus on the closer detail and goes to a further point as if it were on distant setting. I often can take the first photo okay, but if I approach ie a butterfly on the ground, it seems the focus will not readjust. Am I just hitting a wrong button/setting, or is there a physical problem with the camera?
Also, the zoom often will not change unless I return it to automatic setting. The camera has had no bumps that I know of.
When it works, it takes beautiful shots. How do I get it to be consistent?

Post subject: Re: focus problems
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:56 pm 

You probably focus on something without too much contrast, you zoom in too much or you try to focus too nearly.
It is, however, very common to check after each shot if it's in focus ;) You want to have the best shot, dont you? And if you can check -at that time- if it's going to be a good shot and you can change the focus to be sure it's going to be a good shot, then what lets you not check it?

The best way to focus on a compact camera is to use the center point only. Then you focus on what's in the middle of the viewfinder, and 99% of the time it's spot on.

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies