Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:23 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Refurbished cameras?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:26 am 

Hi everyone,

A while ago, I was browsing the internet looking for good camera deals when I came across a really good deal for a refurbished camera, and I'd really never considered it, but this time the price got my attention.
My doubt is: Are refurbished cameras as good as new ones? What are the upsides (besides the price)? What are the downsides?

Post subject: Re: Refurbished cameras?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:48 am 

The problem with "refurbished" is that the term can mean all sorts of things.

1. The camera has a few cosmetic flaws (scuffs, scratches, etc) but components such as cracked/split battery covers and buttons or the shutter have been replaced. Otherwise, the the camera would be from very good to excellent working order. Depending on how extensive the refurbishment was, the camera could last as long as a brand new equivalent.
  2. The box had been opened by somebody other than the buyer and not in the buyer's presence, therefore it could not be sold as a new camera. It could be in absolutely pristine condition otherwise.
  3. The camera was unwanted and returned and the box had been opened so it could not be re-sold as new but could be in otherwise pristine condition, which was the case when I bought my Pana GF3 a couple of weeks ago - the box was pretty beaten up but the camera and accessories were in perfect condition and working order.
  4. The camera could be an ex-display or demonstration model that had been serviced as in point 1

If the camera wasn't refurbished by the manufacturer or an authorised/approved dealer, I would look for background on the company involved such as the nature of the refurbishment and what warranty is offered.

CSCs: Panasonic DMC-GF3
Lenses: Panasonic Lumix G 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:56 pm 

Well the camera I was looking at is from a US store, Adorama. They give you a 90 day warranty on every refurbished product. This is the definition they give to "refurbished" and I'm quoting them:

"Refurbished goods sold by Adorama are all refurbished by the manufacturer (unless specified otherwise) to the original company's specifications.

All refurbished equipment sold by Adorama include a 90-day return-to-manufacturer warranty.

Canon Refurbished include a 90 day return-to-Adorama Warranty."

I've bought cameras and other stuff from them before and I've never had any problems, but my doubt is what kind of flaws can the refurbished cameras have. If it's just a cosmetic flaw, probably I won't care too much, besides it'll be easy to spot. But if it's an internal flaw, I might not notice until it's too late.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:39 pm 

It may be worth asking Adorama what kind of work had been done when refurbishing the camera.

Would I be right in guessing it's a refurbished DSLR?

If so, the shutter mechanism is probably the component I would show the most concern about as it's perhaps the first part of a DSLR I'd expect to fail even if it's been treated well.

Perhaps you should ask them what the shutter count is or if the mechanism had been replaced by Canon.

CSCs: Panasonic DMC-GF3
Lenses: Panasonic Lumix G 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:01 pm 

As a matter of fact, it is a DSLR. I'll try to contact them to see what's up with the shutter.
Anyways, thanks a lot for helping! :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:22 pm 

I agree with rorschach on the shutter concern... it it wasnt replaced and it has a count on it near 100,000, depending on camera model and year, I would have serious concerns

Reflections On Canadian Wildlife
My Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:36 am 

Well the camera is a Canon Rebel T3i so I think it wouldn't have any serious problems, but it's always good to check with the company. I'd better prevent any issues!