Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:37 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:49 pm 
I have had this tripod / head combination for a few weeks now.

The 'pod itself is really good. The leg lock mechanism and extenable centre column all work very smoothly and have a satifying feel of quality about them. Once up, the tripod feels extemely rigid and doesn't move even in strong winds. The downside to this rock solid feel is the weight of the thing (2.4kg). This is a fair chunk to lug around, but I think it's probably worth it unless you plan extensive long hikes. In the end, I'm glad I took Gordon's advice about making my primary 'pod a good solid model...I can always invest in a lightweight/mini 'pod at a later date.

Another small critisism is that to get the centre column into the horizontal plane is a bit of a palather - it would have been better with a quick-release mechanism, rather than having to labouriously unscrew the central column from the bottom in order to free up the column to re-insert into the tripod head. But to be honest, I've yet to use this feature 'in anger'.

This 'pod is also very tall, it extends to 1760mm. I have already had call to use it's above average height.

I went to a camera store (Jessops in UK) to have a play around with the tripod and heads. This is definitely recommended. The 322RC2 head is a joystick style ball-head. I had a go with this as well as the 460MG and the 808RC4. I was won over with the spontaneity of the RC2, it allowed me to adjust the camera to where I wanted to shoot INSTANTLY!. The joystick lever has a thumbwheel which allows the user to increase the friction on the ball-head, but personally I like it as 'floppy', or to put it another way, as responsive, as possible.

The thing I like the best about the whole set-up is the Manfrotto quick-release plate. This is so convenient and feels so sure-footed - no hint of 'is it on, or not?'

Of course, the RC2 is not so good for panoramas as you can't adjust it in one plane only, but I feel the trade off for total control is worth it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:54 pm 

Yeah, unscrewing the bottom for placing the center column horizontally is a bit of a hassle. I can't understand why they (Manfrotto) didn't let you pull out the center column easily!?!?
But have you felt how reassuringly the 'pod stands even when you have the center column horizontally and all your gear mounted to it? Fantastic!

I also thought about the ball-head. But with the 808RC4 I'm sure that the cam moves only in one direction/dimension (safeguarded by the spring-loads) and not go balistic if I'm not careful...

P.S.: B.t.w. Planetpeckham: where is your signature?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:23 pm 
Quote:
P.S.: B.t.w. Planetpeckham: where is your signature?

As Homer Simpson might have put it....'Doh!'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:33 pm 

I always interpreted "Doh!" as "consider it done"!
But then again, where is your sig?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:54 pm 
Site Admin

Nice report Planetpeckham! And good to see you back on the forums!

Gordon