Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:33 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:36 am 

Well, I'll make a topic where we can post out stories and photos from the eclipse. From what I've read in a lot of NE America the conditions we're too bad to photograph but here in my neck of the woods (Central New York State) it was a little cloudy but nice.) I went outside at 9:30 GMT-5 took a couple photos and stayed out until 10:40pm GMT-5. When I got back in I downloaded the pictures and they aren't great I was limited by the camera, and the conditions. It did start to snow, and to address that I brought out just a white construction mask and put it over the lens in between shots (extended periods) here are my best 3 cropped. Please post yours and share your story!

Jake

my Blog
"Photography isn't so much about the results as it is the collective experience, your interactions with people and with the world"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:42 am 
Site Admin

Hi Jake, good shots - I know how tricky this can be...

Can you share the settings used? Is the slight fuzziness due to motion or focus?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:14 am 
Gordon Laing wrote:
Can you share the settings used? Is the slight fuzziness due to motion or focus?

I had the same problem. I set my camera for ISO 100 up to 800, shutter speed from 1"-5" set the timer and walked away so that i would not bump it.

They all turned out like JakeOConnell's shots.
Any idea what could have been done to get a better shot?
My other moon's look a lot better. . . . . .

Nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:19 am 
Hello,

Jake, it's true that your first two shots are a bit blurry but the last one is pretty nice. :) I think we'd all be curious to also know the settings you've shot at and the gear you've used.

I have myself, for the first time last night, taken pictures of the night sky and I've realized how hard it was to get the moon in sharp focus. ( I still can't say I'm pleased :( ) Setting the focus to infinity didn't work for me and I actually had to bring it back a bit. It was SO SO sensitive, it's incredible. I also didn't have a tripod so I've tried my best to stabilize the camera on the top of my car and letting it rest on a bunched up thick shirt. The -27*C didn't help either as my hands froze and got shaky very fast but all-in-all I am very happy I went and tried it out :D lol ok enough talking... and more photos :P

Here is a mosaic of the best shots from last night. The partial eclipse was shot at 10 min. interval and I've also added 2 shots of the total eclipse.

Here's also a 100% crop of one of them for reference.
190mm - f/5.6 - 1/2 s. - 800ISO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:52 am 

Andy wrote:
...I've realized how hard it was to get the moon in sharp focus...

Welcome to the world of astrophotography. :twisted:

Getting that pin-point sharp focus is incredibly difficult. AF probably won't work, or won't work well enough, so it's down to manual focus and trial and error. A notebook PC is incredibly useful, doubly so if you are fortunate to have remote Live View.

Thanks for the photos, guys. I was doing some serious examination of the inside of my eyelids at the time (3 a.m. in the UK) but now I feel I've seen it (nice montage, Andy).

Next one is in 2010 I think.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:03 pm 
thanks for that montage

i completely missed out on that eclipse too... not that i was would've been able of capturing anything good

thanks for sharing and rendez vous in a few years!!

Quentin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:30 pm 

First off thanks for the comments! So I took all the photos with my Fuji Finepix s6000, not the best camera but its a camera. Gordon, the blur is primary camera shake, I used a tripod but its not a very good one and I had it tightened down at all the joints but it was still a little loose. For the last shot I'd used the self timer. And another cause of blur may have been the weather it got a bit cloudy out.

ISO 100 (should have put it up higher but I always over look that in manual mode)
Stats:
Photo 1:
Aperture f/4.9
Exposure: 4 Seconds
Focal Length: 67.7mm
cropped in photoshop

Photo 2:
Aperture f/4.9
Exposure: 4 Seconds
cropped in photoshop

Photo 3:
Aperture: f/4.9
Exposure: 2 seconds (5/2)
Again 100% crop in photo shop

Bob, I am really looking forward to the day I get my 40d although its probably months off just getting the camera and although most people consider this an overpriced accessory, I am going to get the wireless transmitter grip to accompany it. This is after of course I buy a bit more glass few flashes, pocket wizards, etc. It's a long list.

ANDY! Those pictures are like perfect, and you say you didn't even use a tripod?!?!?!? The color is spot on and everything. I was nice and toasty outside actually, snow pants, gloves, hats, boots. Some how I convinced my friend who has the 40d, to go outside and try taking a picture and he did! with shorts and a sweat shirt on.

my Blog
"Photography isn't so much about the results as it is the collective experience, your interactions with people and with the world"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:46 am 
:oops: Thanks Jake. Well even though I didn't use a tripod, I used what I could and it made quite a great difference compared to hand-held.

I'm looking to buy a tripod though these day so I can't wait to stretch to those long exposures and experiment more with night photography.

Thanks for the info on your shots!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:08 am 

Goooood news for me, Bob, that the next lunar eclipse is in 2010, by then I will have this down mo-bedder..but you will still be light years ahead of me, my friend..

Andy, what a gorgeous presentation...love that, it was cloudy here, and I did not get a good chance to even eyeball the event, let alone attempt to take a picture...you and Jake-y did way good...

so pleased for you, turned out so brilliant...you deserve it, it is hard work, this photography deal..and while ol' sister moon was cloaking herself in mystery you got all of that beauty and wonder down..I don't think she minded, you captured her best side.
Quentin says rondez vous in 3 years, for the time the moon decides to show herself......
I better start saving my money, now.
good on you.

patti