Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Introspection
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:50 pm 

"You are your own worst critic"

We've probably all heard that at some point, and it's totally true in my opinion. Ever take a photo of something and you immediately think it's the greatest thing you've ever done... and then absolutely hate it about two days later? Even if everyone fawns over it and says it's the greatest thing you've ever done?

While getting happy feedback from people is great, sometimes there are those little niggles of, "could have, should have, would have" that sit in your mind. Are they your motivation? Or do you shut them out and keep on keepin' on?

I use them as motivation, or at least try to :)

Would anyone be interested in having a thread of self-critique? A "state of my photography" type thread? I've written a post but I'm apprehensive to put it up here as it's a bit of a wall of text (even if it was a good bit of soul-searching). It would be cool to see how people view their strengths and weaknesses, and areas they like to improve. No one would be judging, and it would be interesting to look back in a week, a month, or a year and see how your opinions and abilities have changed.

Would anyone be interested? Or am I just spouting introspective nonsense? :)

PS - blame Zack Arias' Q&A tumblr page for this post (http://zarias.tumblr.com/)

Canon EOS 5D MkII | Canon EOS 7D | Canon Digital Rebel XSi | EF 35mm f/1.4L | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | EF 135mm f/2L | EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | 580EX II | LumoPro LP-120

My Flickr

Post subject: Re: Introspection
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:59 pm 

a little maybe..

but i always like critique..i think its the only way to learn something new or see something differently. People learn most from their own mistakes but realising you have made a mistake is by far the biggest lesson. This is why i joined this forum. i wanted to improve and the only way thats going to happen is to listen to what people do differently and learn from it, look at my own work and be critical about it or listen to those that have a different opinion and consider it. You dont necessarily have to agree with it, but you are certainly a fool if you dont consider it.

20-20 hindsight is a wonderful thing and as with your old schoolwork or the project you did last year..at the time it was the greatest piece of work you ever did but now its only so-so.

im not sure it warrants your own thread but i do encourage people to provide critique.

I think its more about others realising that some of us dont throw our toys out of the pram the minute someone says ..i dont like it. Admittedly i would prefer it if people said i dont like it because...but even still i for one would like people to be honest.

It might be more appropriate to understand who here is not afraid of critique or openly wants feedback.

It may be a good thread or even an assignment to compare a photo of yester-year to now. How far have you come ?

just my 2p worth :D

Got some of the gear but really still no idea...:)