Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:29 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: A photo worth a $6000
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:24 am 
Hello Everybody

Just thought I would show you the best photo I have ever taken :!: :!: :!:

The lens is unbelievable :!: :!:

Ok time for the truth :cry: :cry:
I was out sking today and i fell, and I think I broke my thumb. What do you guy's think, is it broken, or just a bad sprain :?: :?: :?:

OK, it is broken. It is a spiral fracture in my left hand. I have to get 3 pins installed to reset it :shock: :shock: :shock: :cry: :cry: :cry:

The operation is going to be about $6000+.
I am finding it a bit hard to type with one hand :?

anyway, thought I would show the photo. I think it looks cool. shame it is of me :lol: 8) :lol: 8) :shock:

Nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:40 am 
Site Admin

That does look pretty cool! Sorry it's caused you pain though and hope it doesn't knock you out for the season...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:40 am 
:evil: OUCH!!!!! :evil:
Sorry to see a break like that, it looks REALLY painful.
Get well soon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:55 am 
800mg of hydrocodone and 500mg of asprin helps alot.

I am flying high weeeeeeeeee
:lol: :lol: :lol:
hay look I can see my thumb from here!!!!!!!! :lol: :shock: :lol: :P :P

It did not hurt when it happend. I just got up picked up my skies and walked to first aid. they said "what did you do?" I said "well, the strangest thing happend. I was going down the hill, and this bear tried to mug me! I fought with him for 5-10 min and then he run off then as I was heading back to the lift I fell down and went boom, and now I have a boo-boo."
she looked at me like i was crazy and said "well, what would you like me to do?" knowing she was talking about my hand I said "find the bear and get my $20 back."

If you cant laugh at yourself then what is the point of life? :lol: :lol:
Sad to say I wont be sking for some time
My skies are up for sale to help pay for things.
I am not going to sell my camera EVER!!
It sucks being un-employed AND un-inshured AND flat broke :cry: :cry:

Nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:14 am 
You should have waited until there was a theme "On Assignment" for this!!

No, seriously - I'm sorry that you hurt yourself and I hope it heals well and soon!

A pretty cool pic though!

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:16 am 
ouch! sorry about the injury Nick! hope it heals well.

I went on my first snow boarding trip in Dec and almost did the same thing. it's taken several weeks for my right thumb to stop aching. I'm surprised that was the most serious injury with all the falling I was doing! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:50 am 
That looks painful! Hope you get well soon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:55 am 
i seriously have alawas thought that breaking something would hurt really bad! it hastn happend to me yeat so i m glad!

I m sure that it hurts alot but seems as if ur been given quite the pain medication over there! the pix sure does look cool

are u wearing a cast now?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:04 am 

Hi Nick,

Sorry to see that your are injured. Take your camera with you when they put your hand in a cast so that they can mould it to the camera body. :P

Seriously, it's a real pain. Over the years I've cracked a couple of ribs and suffered two dislocated shoulders, the last one coupled with a broken shoulder joint. It puts a serious dent in the ski season :evil:

I've given up now, as my power/weight/sense ratios have got badly skewed. :twisted:

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:20 pm 
:shock: see through skin lenses!!!

ouch! thats a mighty crack there! wish i could send you a typical american "Get well soon" card but i don't have your adress...
i'm going to ski tomorrow, hope i won't break anything. if i do i'll post a pic here.

keep your head high (not with aspirin though!)

Quentin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:16 pm 
Eeek you can see that bone clearly seperated... What a story you made up too thats halarious i was laughing the whole time :lol: :lol: .. and how did you take this pic with your right hand... are you able to just kinda latch onto it and mainly use your face to hold the backside of the camera or do you use more of your left hand to hold the camera and your pointer finger to push the shutter button. Seems tricky to me! i would have trouble.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:35 pm 

The xti is a small enough camera size wise you should still be able to take photos with one hand huh? and thats all that matters.

my Blog
"Photography isn't so much about the results as it is the collective experience, your interactions with people and with the world"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:56 pm 
Sorry to hear about your hand. Great shot though. Is the arrow there so you don't forget where the break is? :D

Heal up soon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:01 pm 
Thanks everyone for the kind words.

my left arm is in a splint (half cast half ace bandage) just to hold my thumb in place till I see the hand Dr. today. If I have to have the operation to fix it I am sooo getting it on video 8) 8) 8) :lol: :lol: .

I found the brake a bit weird. It should be VERY painful, but it is not, and even before the Dr. gave me the "Happy Pills" it did not hurt. I realy only have the med's for when I have to sleep.

taking photo's with just my right had is not bad. altho it is tuff to change lens.

If you look realy close you can see that the bone is broken in 3 places.
the "top" and "bottom" bones are seperated (up & down) 3-4mm and over lap (left & right) 6-7mm. the bottom bone twords the top of the brake on the left "hand" side of the pic you can see another brake all most in a "j" or "u" shape. :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :shock: :lol: :cry:

Anyway, when I get back from the Dr.'s I'll keep you posted.

The arrow was there because the girl doing the x-ray was taking shots of my little finger. I told her that that was not where the injury was." she said "well the paper work said where i should take it." " here let me show you where it hurts the most, where the swelling is, and how to do your job right." (she was not a nice person) so I took the arrow and placed it. the she took the shot. I would have to say that i was not to far off. :lol: :P :lol: :P :lol: :lol:

Nick
"Live long and laugh hard!!!!"

Last edited by Nick12984 on Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:10 pm 

At least now you can give four-thumbs-up ratings :lol:

No, but really - it sucks to be injured. There are no lessons to be learned from injuries. None.

Hope you heal quick and proper.