Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:34 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:38 pm 
Hi all, I was just wondering if anybody had any experience with the Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED lens on a DX body. I have a D7000 and am thinking of getting this lens, I have read some reports though that it has focusing problems on DX bodies.

Any opinions would be greatly received as I do not want to waste some serious money on it.

Many Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:56 am 

Whatever floats your boat!

If you go on other forums, as with the 14-24mm, you'll hear people saying that it's a waste on a DX sensor body.

Things have moved on with the higher ISO capability of the D7000 now - if you're into handheld street photography at night and 24mm (or 35mm equivalent field of view on DX) is your bag, then this would be an ideal lens to go for. Expensive, but ideal. Focuses very close as well, if I remember rightly, so it will give you some interesting compositional options.

I bought and used the 24-70 on DX - people would say it's a waste on the DX body (D90 for me at the time) as it wasn't wide enough but the focal length worked for me and I knew I'd be upgrading to full frame in the future so I got it. Plugging the gap, I got a Sigma 10-20 as my wide angle until I moved to full frame, and then the Nikkor 14-24.

Personally I'd love one, but I've already got a very good 14-24 and 24-70 at that focal range, so I wouldn't use it so much. If you are going down the full frame route in the future and aren't going to be shooting at f1.4-f2 all day/night, then I'd look at the 24-70 - a bit more distortion at the wide end, faster focusing, and more versatile unless you want the f1.4. Sure it's not the sexiest lens or focal range in the bag, but you'll use it a lot more. A pro's bread and butter lens, which just happens to be a stellar performer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:24 am 

Here are a few shots to look through - a few on DX as well:

http://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showth ... p?t=341656