Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:16 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Camera repairs
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:26 pm 
Hi everyone,
I recently broke the LCD screen and tilt attachment of my sony a580. The camera takes pictures allright, but I can't use the LCD screen. Since repairing it in Malta is out of the question (there's no Sony retail outlet in the island) I was considering either:

1 - selling it for parts on ebay
2 - sending it abroad for repairs.

Since option 1 will only leave me with a very small amount of money, I would like to try to repair the camera. For this reason, I need your help to suggest sites that offer this type of service - preferably in Europe, to avoid import duties and long travel distances.

thanks!

Post subject: Re: Camera repairs
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:39 pm 

Perhaps contacting a Sony service centre (Sony themselves or one they've authorised to carry out repairs) for a quote would be the best option?

It won't be cheap but you with the manufacturer (or someone they've commissioned) carrying out the work, there should be a fair bit of accountability on their side. If you have any plans to upgrade the body in a few years, that it was repaired by Sony would help preserve its resale value.

There's no shortage of sites for third-party companies that repair cameras but I won't list or suggest any on account of having no first-hand experience with them.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:55 pm 
The problem is that Malta is a small island (400,000 people living here) and their is no official Sony centre / authorised repairer. I will have to wait to go abroad for holiday, to take it for repairs with me. But there again, if the repair were to take more than 10days max, it would be a problem, as I would have to go back to my country.

The online sites seem to be the only logical solution.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:25 pm 

I didn't say it explicitly but I was implying sending it overseas. I'm guessing Italy would probably have the most local service centre you can send it to.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:50 pm 
@Rorschach
Thanks for the reply. Yes, Italy is the nearest, but not necessarily the most reliable - post-wise - and I read bad experiences with Sony repairs in Italy.

I think I found a good company in Germany - which is Sony authorised. Moreover, I have a friend who lives not very far, who will soon be on holiday in Malta; I'm sure he'll take care of it himself. This company does not seem to offer international service.

In the meantime, thinking of buying a replacement camera - I have my mind set on the a77.