Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:35 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:45 pm 

Hi everyone,

Recently, I was going to buy my first DSLR, the Canon 600D/T3i, but I got a glimpse of the new 650D/T4i and now I have a dilemma. I can't decide between the 600D or the 650D.
I really loved that Canon finally changed the AF system in their Rebel cameras from 9-point with one cross-type to 9-point with 9 cross type sensors. Also, I liked the new touch-screen, I think it's a very welcome addition to the 650D. Other little additions that I don't really think they make much of a difference (correct me if I'm wrong), are the new DIGIC 5 processor and the hybrid AF (although I think the hybrid AF would be nice for video).
One thing I'm not sure about is if the improvements in the continuous shooting are really that good or not.

Now finally, here's my dilemma:
I don't know if the extra $300 are worth spending on the 650D/T4i or if I should go for the 600D/T3i.

I'd like if someone could explain if the differences between these two cameras are important enough to spend the extra $300.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:56 pm 

On the 650D the screen automatically switches off when you look through the viewfinder ;)

Well - but you summed up the most important features. At the moment the price difference is bigger than it will be in few months. If you don't want to wait... well... personally I'd go for the 650D indeed. Faster, besser focusing, some nice features... but take a look at the Pentax K-30 or even the K-5, too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RMfSRpE ... ature=plcp
(If I had to start again I guess I'd end up getting a Pentax. Great weather sealing in the payable cameras, about the best noise performance when compared to other crop frame sensors, old lenses usable, built-in image stabilizer that works with any lens.)

Canon EF 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 USM + EF 24-105mm 4L IS USM + EF 100-400mm 4.5-5.6L IS USM + EF 50mm 1.8 II + EF 100mm 2.8L Macro IS USM + Sigma 12-24mm 4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM + Canon Speedlite 580 EX II + Nissin Speedlite Di 466

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:06 pm 

pierovera wrote:
I'd like if someone could explain if the differences between these two cameras are important enough to spend the extra $300.

I don't think anyone can do that so easily, at least without extensive knowledge of what and how you shoot.

The extra cross-type AF points won't benefit everybody, particularly if their focal point is always dead centre of the frame.

The touchscreen is all well and good but if you shoot predominantly shoot stills with the viewfinder, it loses much of its usefulness.

For some, the 650D would definitely be worth the extra money (for me the faster burst rate and the cross-type AF all around win the battle though personally I'd fork out extra for the 7D) but others won't need or make us of its benefits over the 600D so one could argue that it is not worth the premium.

Perhaps you should consider whether or not you'd benefit considerably from the 650D's "on paper" advantages over the 600D and decide from that if you think the premium is justified by the benefits you'd draw?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:13 pm 

Rorschach wrote:
The extra cross-type AF points won't benefit everybody, particularly if their focal point is always dead centre of the frame.

Actually, I almost never shoot dead center, I use the rule-of-thirds quite a lot and with the compact I own, it's very annoying that I can only focus with in center of the frame, so the 9-point cross-type focusing system is an advantage to me, also because the areas where I focus don't have a lot of contrast.

EDIT: Oh I forgot to say that what I shoot most of the time is wildlife and nature, birds and macros of insects mainly.

Last edited by pierovera on Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:19 pm 

Jiko wrote:
On the 650D the screen automatically switches off when you look through the viewfinder ;)

Well I didn't know that, thanks!

Jiko wrote:
At the moment the price difference is bigger than it will be in few months. If you don't want to wait... well... personally I'd go for the 650D indeed.

I could wait for the price to drop, I prefer to wait rather that to spend extra money.

Jiko wrote:
but take a look at the Pentax K-30 or even the K-5, too

Well, I'm not a Pentax fan, but I really liked both cameras. One problem is that the main reason I prefer Canon over other brands is their lenses. If there's a way to fit Canon lenses in a Pentax body, I'd consider those 2 cameras as options.

Thanks anyways :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:28 pm 

pierovera wrote:
Actually, I almost never shoot dead center, I use the rule-of-thirds quite a lot and with the compact I own, it's very annoying that I can only focus with in center of the frame, so the 9-point cross-type focusing system is an advantage to me, also because the areas where I focus don't have a lot of contrast.

In that case, that's one trump the 650D is likely to have for you. Being able to centre in the centre of the frame is the nature of phase detection as it becomes less effective towards the edge of the frame.

For shooting by the rule of thirds, Live View shooting can certainly help can you can use the touch screen to focus quickly.