Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:04 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: 550D vs D5100 vs D3200
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:57 am 
Hi All,

I am planning to buy my 1st DSLR camera.

I have gone through the review of all the cameras in my budget range. So there is no stone unturned there.
I have shorlisted 3 (no money for guessing :D ) - Canon550D, NikonD5100 and NikonD3200
I tried all 3 of them and they all feel the same to me.
I am buying this to do photography and basic videography. I also like to play with effects to put my concept across to the viewer.

My questions which will help me make the decision
1. D5100 has effects which can be applied on Photos and Videos. I know 550D does not have that. Can I apply these effects in post processing. Is it something that comes with canon software?
2. 550D has 50 and 60 frame rates for 720p video. D5100 does not have How useful can this be for slow motion video? If anyone has used it, please share your thoughts?
3. D3200 has the same specs as the D5100 apart from the AE/WB bracketing and Noise at high ISO. Taking the above 2 points into consideration as these are done in D3200, is D3200 is a better choice in comparison to the D5100.

Also, give a final word - 550D or D5100 or D3200

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:36 pm 

1. When you become serious about photography, you will need a good post-processing software. Adobe Lightroom 4 can do wonders, and then you'll need either Photoshop Elements to begin with or Photoshop pro as you progress. Or you can go with free software such as The Gimp. While it is nice to have it done "in camera", being able to manipulate it in post means you can turn any effect on or off if needed.

2. The T2i is a very great starter for video, delivering good image quality, manual modes, and full HD 1080p video. I haven't used the "slowmo" effect much, but from 60 frames down to 30 frames, you can slow the video by half if needed.

3. I think the D3200 should have been called a D5200. Between the two, I would probably probably go for the D3200. But given the three, I would probably go for the T2i.

For photography, I think any of those would be quite fine. But if you throw in some video, Canon remains the stronger option.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:55 pm 
Thanks Jean-Pierre!

Just one more question to you and others.

As D5100 does not have a in-built motor, does it lead to spending more money on the lenses later on.
As in, I think the lenses with the motor cost around twice or thrice the ones without a motor.

I am asking too many questions, as my inclination is towards D5100 and I am looking for strong reasons to go for T2i.

Thanks
Shank

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:20 pm 

Shank wrote:
Just one more question to you and others.

As D5100 does not have a in-built motor, does it lead to spending more money on the lenses later on.
As in, I think the lenses with the motor cost around twice or thrice the ones without a motor.

If by "motor" you mean image stabilisation, yes, there is the potential for lenses to cost more, certainly if they have IS.

There are occasions when IS is unnecessary or even detrimental to what you're shooting so perhaps you should consider whether what you're shooting warrants having IS.