Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:56 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Dubai here I come!!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:01 pm 

Hey guys,

sorry for being so enthusiastic but I'm flying to Dubai in September. Can't wait and wondering if someone could recommend some nice places? Dubaiphil maybe?

Soooo excited! :0

Post subject: Re: Dubai here I come!!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:53 pm 

Well where are you staying?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:00 pm 

dubaiphil wrote:
Well where are you staying?

Currently checking the Gloria Hotel in Media City. Alternatively Bur area. As not very familiar still evaluating the options of accomodation. Want to be pretty much central.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:15 am 

Post 1 of the tour guide!

For location, Gloria hotel is better. Bur Dubai is central when you look at a map, but you'll be in traffic a lot of the time and dining options are not particularly international, being more Indian/Arabic/street food unless you go to the bigger hotels - cast iron constitution may be required! Alternatives in the area of Gloria are Bonnington (Jumeirah Lakes Towers - not quite as good a location, but probably a better hotel), Media One in Media City, or cheaper hotels in Al Barsha and TECOM/Greens area (if you're doing a lookup on booking.com or the like). There are a few Movenpicks around as well which may be worth looking at if they fit into your budget.

If you're going to the souqs in the morning (Fish Market, Gold souq, Spice souq and then across the creek on an 'abra' or water taxi for 20p to the textile souq), you're looking at a 20 minutes taxi ride for around 6 Pounds from any of the hotels I've listed above. You'll prefer the area around The Greens/Tecom/Media City/Marina as in the evenings you're closer to the likes of The Walk at Dubai Marina, or Souk Madinat for places for nicer food and drink.

A few good evenings can be had at the Burj Khalifa and Dubai Mall - lots of eateries around the fountain there - but it's best not to drive there from the above locations until 7-8pm as the traffic will be bad. If you like a beer or wine with dinner, you'll have to go to Souk Al Bahar and book a table at one of a few restaurantts which are licenced with a terrace overlooking the fountain - nice for a last night. There's a Thai, Rivington Grill which is run by the same company that runs The Ivy (highly recommended) or Bice Mare which is an Italian seafood restaurant. If you earlier in your stay during the daytime to Dubai Mall and Burj Khalifa, you can walk across to Souk Al Bahar and take a look at the restaurants and their menus and book.

If you're going up to The View From The Top then it's best to book online nearer the time - you will have a time slot to go, and it is 1/4 the price if pre booked - expensive anyway, but ludicrous if you just turn up. The viewing deck opens at 10am and you should have good skies in September, but in the morning you'll be shooting into the sun a little. Evenings could be good, going into dusk and night - tripods are allowed.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:18 am 

And look up The Big Bus Tour

There are different routes, which allow you to hop on and off. If you're staying in Al Barsha (also look at Centro hotel (but don't eat dinner there), Ibis, etc) then you're within walking distance of Mall of the Emirates where there is a pick up point for the tours.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:24 am 

And don't forget to look up 4x4 dune bashing adventures. Off roading in the desert with different options - the minimum is an afternoon pick up, scaring you silly in the dunes on a 4x4, sunset over the desert, spot of dinner/shisha/belly dancing/falconry/camel riding, back home for around 10-11pm

Also, check out www.timeoutdubai.com - lots of info on what's on in different areas of town

Also, check out www.cobone.com - lots of group offers that you can buy for discounted rates - could be some good deals nearer the time for you

If you're planning a nice dinner at some point then let me know - there are literally 1000's of options and with it being the Middle East everything looks fantastic but under the skin it might not be great service or value for money. We've been here for 8 years now so we know a thing or two about nice places to go, where you'll fell like you're getting value for money

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:33 pm 

Hi Phil,

thanks for that. Currently at work so just skimmed over your postings. Will definitely let you know. Should be nice 10 days :)