Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:06 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:52 am 
Hiya
I'm dithering between the Panasonic Lumix dmc-fz48 (or possibly the 150 - if worth the extra dosh), the Sony cyber-shot dsc-hx200v and the Canon powershot sx40 but am getting a little confused.

The Sony is possibly slightly ahead of the Panasonic at the mo in that the panorama feature is just brilliant (as my bro has an earlier model but has got some great results - achieved very easily) and it has a longer zoom (which I would find useful as I like taking wildlife photos). However, I am worried that even with stablisation the longer shots could end up wobbly as I have not got particularly steady hands - but am unlikely to use a tripod on a regular basis.

The Panasonic has a less powerful zoom but I get the impression from what I've read that it does have a superior lens, so presumably better quality pix at the end of the day? The one thing I can't find out it whether or not it's got some sort of easy to use panorama function as well, as if it does then it could be the winner

I threw in the Canon simply on the basis that it has a really long zoom and also seems to get reasonable reviews, but again it isn't clear if it has a panorama mode

So in a nut shell I'm looking for a camera that takes brilliant pictures with as good a zoom as possible, along with the ability to take good panorama shots. I'd like it to be able to handle most things really well in the fully auto mode but with the ability to take more control when the mood takes me.

Any advice would be very much appreciated
Many thanks Chris

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:10 pm 

This info is what I get when I had used cameras for all those 3 brands I have not use those specific models.
Sony has a good panorama but low light scene suffers especially if you want to take a picture without flash (and you know flashes cover just a few meters for all about 4m)
Panasonic has great lens and good specs you can not find on Sony
Canon gives the best results in lowlight
I do not know if the other two have panorama option but usually most cameras do have. Not as simple as Sony one. As I have seen other brands panorama works as follows: Horizontal and vertical lines appear on the screen, you take your first shot and this minimizes to the left side of the screen so you can see what is look like and collate the next one by noticing where the first ends (I hope to place this right and not confuse you) and place the vertical line of the next picture to continue. Generaly you take many pictures (from left to right) noticing where the previous ends and use the vertical lines as a guide to take the next ones start point from there.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:52 am 
Thanks very much for your advice
Chris

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:15 pm 

Due to my work I have seen and compare the tow Panasonic Z150 and Z48. Both have a panorama, but unfortunately you have to use the bandle software to combine the pictures you take in panorama mode.So by just try to see them on the camera they will appear as normal different shots.
Now about the differenses, what Z150 has but not Z48
Movable screen, can take RAW format, can take 12fps but only for 1 sec so no 24 shots in 2 secs, Z48 can take max 3,7 shots for 2 secs only.
Also there is a zoom button on the side of the lens too -on Z150 only-not just next to the shot button (If you ever seen Nikon P510 or L810 both have the same button too)
Z150 has a few more video options, ok both full HD etc but some more, dont remember exactly but its like 1080P 24 fps not only 30fps also not only one format lets say Mp4 but also MOV.(Not so much of importance for me)
Z150 can take an extra flash there is a hot shoe.
Last for Z150 has a GPS.
A minor difference if i remember right Z150 shutter speed range is from 30sec to 1/2000. Z48 range is 15 sec to 1/2000
Both have exactly same lens and sensor