Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:29 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:44 am 

Been studying my 1st DSLR/SLR, T31 for about 4 hours now, and am amazed I cannot find a way to review the images through the view finder. I've tried turning off Live View, restore factory defaults and would think this would be an automatic setting. I would be terribly disappointed if I can't use the viewfinder for this purpose, may have bought the wrong camera.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:05 pm 

The T3i viewfinder, like all DSLRs, lets you see through the lens via a mirror. It does not have an electronic screen like the mirror-less or super-zoom cameras do, so you see exactly what your camera sensor will see once your mirror moves out of the way.

The screen in the back of your camera is the only place you can see your photos.

The only cameras that could theoretically do it would be the mirror-less cameras and super-zooms, but I'm not sure if any implemented that technology.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:06 pm 

If you want to see shots you have previously taken in the viewfinder, then no SLR from anyone has ever done that as far as I'm aware. The viewfinder exists to provide an optical path, and there is no review display included.

The nearest to a SLR with that kind of capability might be the Sony SLT range. They use a different mirror configuration so you get SLR style focusing with an electronic viewfinder, that might also offer previous image review. You do need to check if that is possible as I'm not sure if it does or not. Another option are the variety of "mirrorless" system cameras out there (e.g. Sony NEX, Nikon 1, and many more from Olympus/Panasonic/Fuji/Samsung/Pentax). They don't have SLR style focusing and they all have different quirks, but they could possibly also offer that. Again you need to check any specific model individually if it does what you want.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:44 am 

Looks like I'm just going to have to get used to it... don't mind it with Still Shots so much, but shooting video in the bright sunlight is rough... especially auto & motorcycle racing. Seems that the new Sony Alpha mode SLR's you can and I'm sure the new Panasonic GH3 you can... I almost went with those, but chose the Canon instead. I thought I had read and understood everything but there was a LOT of reading and comparing. I find it terribly difficult to focus/pre-focus the video before recording, as I can't seem to squeeze the button down half way without it firing off, no focus process unless it's supposed to sound like your taking a picture. I just have a lot of work to do and now will probably keep my old Super Zoom for shooting Hi-Res video. Other than that, I'm loving the photo part of it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:35 am 

timat10 wrote:
shooting video in the bright sunlight is rough

That's why folks who are serious about shooting video on a DSLR use HoodLoupes or Z-Finders. Or better yet, an external monitor. (And also one reason why it's often recommended that, if you're primarily shooting video, you should use a camera that's primarily designed to shoot video.)

Also, the GH3 isn't out yet - Mark

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:54 am 

I'm new to SLR/DSLR and never read anything about all this. I've taken over a million shots with super zooms and it's a hard habit to break. They certainly aren't cheap, are they?. Easier to carry my old camera which takes great, easy HD Video outdoors through the viewfinder.
Thanks for the info, I've spent my allowance for this year. ;-)

Tim