Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:39 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:16 pm 
Hi Everyone,

After spending a lot of time going through reviews, and waiting months on end... I finally purchased myself a Panasonic GX1 with the standard kit lens.

I'm thinking of a new lens and wanted to get some suggestions.

I have the idea what I could love taking some lower light photos and even possibly some long exposure (I've got a friend who's got a cottage tucked in Northern Ontario with a beautiful view of the milky way)

I would also like to use a lens for taking rock concert photos during the evening and night. Typically close to the stage, maybe 30 feet back.. but once again, needing to have something that will work fast in low light.

I may be asking for too much out of a single lens, but I figure a fixed focal length of 20mm is good?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:08 am 

Pany's 20mm f1.7 lens is generally considered to be one of the best values for the m4/3 format--I own one myself--but in my experience, you're going to need to get much closer to the stage with it if you want to isolate one performer. At 30 feet, you're looking at a field of view of around 27 feet x 18 feet which could work for an overall view of the stage if the stage isn't too big. (Although, for bigger stages you can usually back up. It's getting closer that's often the more difficult proposition.) But in order to get that down to roughly person size, you need to move up to around 7 feet (and shoot portrait orientation) which gives you a little over 4 feet wide x 6 feet tall. (And don't forget to include the depth of the stage and any security barrier. i.e. if a performer is halfway back on a 10 foot deep stage with a 3 foot security barrier in front, you basically need to be hanging off the barrier.)

Unfortunately, there currently aren't any fast/bright telephoto m4/3 lenses--which is why I'm anxiously awaiting the Oly 75mm f1.8--so the best you can do is the Oly 45mm f1.8 which reduces the field of view at 30 feet to 12 feet x 8 feet.

Sorry, I don't have a clue about astro-photography - Mark

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:37 pm 
I purchased it this weekend!

I'm overly impressed and quite happy with the view it provides!

Here's some sample videos I shot (had youtube stabilize so it might be a little more fuzzy than the original) at the Roger Waters 'The Wall' concert this weekend in Toronto.

http://youtu.be/-m73N6Q7G4k?hd=1

http://youtu.be/zZobZn0CajU?hd=1

I can't wait to try out some lower light shooting and maybe even some long exposure. Very happy with the small profile of the lens as well.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:13 am 
Well I'm quite happy with the results.

These photos were done up in Sudbury, Ontario (Canada)

I didn't have a tripod and I was moreso playing with the settings through it but I was able to capture the stars.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:46 pm 
Site Admin

Excellent, congrats on the lens!

Also look out for the Olympus 45mm f1.8 - very good quality and affordable too...

Gordon