Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:25 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:59 am 

Hi there,

I am wondering if someone on the forum might be able to point me towards appropriate equipment for this scenario.

I am a medical scientist working in diagnostic tissue pathology laboratory. Part of the process of preparing tissues for diagnosis often also involves recording images of specimens and tissues. High quality digital images are selected for testing, training, quality control (to name a few of the reasons). Also with the expectation of increased bandwidth on the internet (NBN in Australia) there is increasing interest in referral of images to other centres to assist in rapid diagnosis.

We have been using a photostand and a Canon Ixus camera that provides a simple method of capturing reliable images without everyone having to be competent in using a DSLR.

We are now moving to a much larger facility where capture of images via a video style camera and image capture software might suit our situation better. It is likely that we will have to move to an integrated sofware based interface to record images on the go. I am aware that there are a number of integrated products on the market but I am interested in exploring what hardware might be available to set up the physical side of the system up. Prior knowledge about what products and components are available rather than being fed information by companies intent on selling their own system although most companies are reasonably flexible.

The types of items that I am chasing information on are articulating support arms for cameras, high res digital cameras and associated components such as hands free switches. Lighting is also another issue. An important issue in the actual physical capture of images in the laboratory environment is keeping the equipment clean since the staff are usually gloved.

So if anyone can point me towards suppliers or brands or models then I'd appreciate it. Sometimes unrelated fields of work have novel means of dealing with similar situations.

regards

Rik78