Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:20 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:49 pm 

Does not matter if you compare it between D7000 or D5100 given that they share the same sensor.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:44 pm 
capital wrote:
Bravo Nikon for being the first to offer a wireless connection to a mobile device at an affordable price. Let's hope it supports live view over wireless. Just maybe Canon's $600-$800 USD wireless connection devices just hit the dust bin and really show how much they are overcharging for the ability to connect a camera to a mobile device.

Would have been nice for the D3200 to a have a tilt-swivel screen like the D5x00 and T3i.

One can only assume that the D5200 and D7200 are soon to follow. The D5200 with it's articulating screen and upgraded specs will be a killer!

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:29 am 
Hello everyone, my first post here, but been reading the pre- and reviews over a few months now.

I am an eager (newbie) camera and photography enthusiast, and I am going to purchase my very first D-SLR very soon.
I've over the years had, and used, various compact cameras - mostly Canon though.

But now I've heard and read about this soon-to-come camera, and I have some quick questions before deciding on a purchase.

Will this camera be a good choice for a first-timer?
(Or should I look in other directions and maybe take D3100/5100 instead, since it's my very first?)

I see people in this thread talking about the MP of the D3200 being almost redundant, due to the ISO-settings?
(I've tried a friends D-SLR a few times, and I don't think I once played with the ISO-settings. Is it really that important a setting? From what I've understood, it's the camera's light sensitivity that you scale, with ISO.)
(Not to point fingers, but especially the comment about 'what are beginners going to use it for?' made me think if I should just stick with a lower-end, cheaper camera until I can upgrade?)

I hope you can help me -

Sincerely,
'The bewildered beginner'

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:48 am 

Well, the D3200 is the replacement for the D3100. I don't see why you should take the D3100 over the D3200. The D5100 is placed a bit higher in the lineup - the screen might come handy.

Yes, the ISO is important and it's the easiest setting to understand. Maybe I just say that because my first camera didn't have auto-ISO so I had to learn it from the beginning on.

In short: Low ISO = best quality, less noise but "less light on the sensor" (=longer shutter speeds, which compensate that missing light, might cause shaky shots.)

The less megapixels you have (in the same generation of sensors) the less noise is visible but of course more megapixels mean more detail if the lens is good enough and if that's what you need.

Canon EF 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 USM + EF 24-105mm 4L IS USM + EF 100-400mm 4.5-5.6L IS USM + EF 50mm 1.8 II + EF 100mm 2.8L Macro IS USM + Sigma 12-24mm 4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM + Canon Speedlite 580 EX II + Nissin Speedlite Di 466

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:52 am 
Thanks for the quick reply, Jiko.

What I means by taking the 3100 over the 3200, is that 'newer isn't better' - and that I should maybe look into purchasing better lenses for a 3100.
But yeah, it's a huge upgrade spec-wise 3100 vs 3200, and I might go for that one. I can't wait for my local photo-shop to get it in store, so I can try it out and hold it.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:09 pm 
Hi everybody,

For what it's worth, I've compiled all past and present cameras into an Excel Chart for comparison.
I hope it will help you to see more clearly, and most of all, answer the question to : Is it really worth ?

http://www.photoexposition.fr

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:36 pm 

With all due respect and not wanting to discredit your efforts, while the chart is helpful, there's only so much it can achieve. There are a lot of human and qualitative factors both in terms of ergonomics and performance that sometimes render what you read on paper less important. Some of the newer lenses, for example, only have benefits over their predecessors under certain conditions.

I genuinely don't want to give the impression I'm dismissing the chart (you misspelt the link by the way) but a dry list of statistics doesn't always determine if one product is better or more useful than another.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:34 pm 

Hello JeromeM, and welcome to the friendly Camera Labs forum!
To enjoy your stay here please have a look at the house-rules!
----
I've edited your link so that it works OK.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:54 pm 

Regarding the insane pixel count...

Nikon has figured out that you need to not give customers a reason not to buy something. Almost no-one needs 24MP but some people will baulk at reducing MP while upgrading from an 18MP P&S. Nikon lost a lot of sales back in the day based on MP count (including D700 vs. 5Dii) as witnessed by the number of Canon shooters moving from 5Dii to D800 because the 5Diii isn't king of MPs despite quite possibly being a more usable camera.

I'm not criticizing or praising Nikon — this is smart marketing. The D3200 will almost certainly outperform all of Sony's 24MP cameras at a very nice price and come with a decent lens range. I think it's particularly impressive that Nikon has improved the LCD and continuous shooting. As with the D7000 and D800 Nikon seems to have pulled out the stops.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:34 pm 
Hello guys,

As a new member I've been scanning the wealth of opinions and advice on this forum, with a view to narrowing my choice of first DSLR and expanding my knowledge.

Just when I thought I'd made my choice (D5100), the D3200 is released....! I have to say it seems to my untrained eye that the D3200 is a perfect marriage between the D3100 and D5100!? It has the built-in guide function of the D3100 which I found appealing, but also incorporates the built-in effects of the D5100 with a superior MP count.

I was wondering whether someone could help with the pros and cons for a beginner between the D5100 and the D3200?

Will the D5100 be that much more complicated for a novice like me? Is the MP count on the D3200 that significant in practice? Also, am I right in thinking the D3200 has no articulated screen? Are the screen resolutions the same?

Sorry for the elementary questions guys, would really appreciate your help.

P.S. Will a review be up soon on camera labs for the D3200?

Thanks. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:46 pm 

Welcome to this forum. I'll give short answers ;)
OmegaDSLR wrote:
Will the D5100 be that much more complicated for a novice like me?

No.

Quote:
Is the MP count on the D3200 that significant in practice?

No.*

Quote:
Also, am I right in thinking the D3200 has no articulated screen?

Yes.

Quote:
Are the screen resolutions the same?

Yes.

*16MP (4.928 x 3.264) are quite a lot, too. But 24MP (6.016 x 4.000) need much more space on you HDD and unless you want to crop a lot the difference is smaller than it sounds like.
In comparison: A full HD screen has a resolution of 1920x1080, which is about 2MP. In order to get a better quality, the MP aren't that important in comparison to a better lens. If you want to make use of the full resolution (24MP) you need pretty good lenses.

Canon EF 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 USM + EF 24-105mm 4L IS USM + EF 100-400mm 4.5-5.6L IS USM + EF 50mm 1.8 II + EF 100mm 2.8L Macro IS USM + Sigma 12-24mm 4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM + Canon Speedlite 580 EX II + Nissin Speedlite Di 466

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:09 am 

===================
Hello OmegaDSLR, and welcome to the friendly Camera Labs forum!
To enjoy your stay here please have a look at the house-rules!
----
Ken McMahon's review is up with all the usual bells and whistles. Have a look here.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:23 pm 
Thanks Jiko & Thomas. I've read through the comprehensive review and it has helped shape my decision.
I've opted for the D5100 in the end. The store were out of stock but it should arrive by Monday, can't wait to get going with it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:55 pm 

Is the 24MP sensor a marketing ''thing'' or has it to do that the sensor already existed in the Sony range?
I mean, of course has everybody their own tastes, but I -personally- have my 50D on sRAW1 or 2 (7 or 3,7MP) and find that plenty. Why would a beginner need many more pixels than I (and even quite many pros) do?
As if printing or cropping with that many pixels (and many, many kit-zooms I guess) is the kind of thing they're all going to do.

Of course with a decent wide-angle lens it would be a great cheap landscape camera, but to target it at the beginners..

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:47 pm 

A 24MP DX/APS-C sensor is many things:
- It's marketing: to have the highest MP sensor in that camera class
- It's economic: to (re-)use a sensor that is already on the market
- It's making your files larger and your processing slower
- It's giving you higher resolution, even if the glass is not the absolute best
- It gives you a magnified view of the flaws of your lens
- It allows you to choose 24MP resolution if the light is good or lower noise if the light is bad (by scaling the image down to say 6MP)

So it's not inherently bad to have a high-MP sensor in a camera. But the incremental benefit over 16MP APS-C/DX sensor may not be easy to reap as you need very good shooting skills regarding precise focus and holding your camera stable.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next