Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:52 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:24 am 
Hello i have recently sold my Kodak Z990 because its way too slow for taking photo's or fast moving subjects. I will be going to a Airshow next month and i am trying to decide whether to get another SuperZoom Camera albeit faster or whether to just go back to the DSLR route.

I have been looking at the Sony HX100V or the Canon SX40 or Panasonic FZ150 the panny especailly seems to be a fast camera but i have not seen many photos of fast moving subjects like aircraft taken by this camera.

I don't have a big budget around £200-300 but i could get a cheap DSLR from ebay and maybe a 300mm lens for now. But any suggestions on what camera and what brand etc? I did used to own a Sony Alpha A200 but i sold it all a while back, I am not sure whether to go back to Sony or try Nikon or Canon ? the one thing i did like about the A200 is the IS built into the body rather than having to pay out lots for IS len's.

Also i am tempted by the video functions of a Superzoom like the Canon SX40 for example which has slo mo recording etc as i don't have a seperate camcorder.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:21 am 

I don't recommend committing to brand in itself but rather what the brand offers YOU.

For your budget (towards the top end of it) you can get an old entry-level DSLR body from any of the three brands (Canon 300D/350D, Nikon D40/D50 or a Sony A230) and a lens of up to 300mm focal length.

IS is only a benefit if you're shooting at relatively low shutter speeds. If you're shooting at an airshow, the chances are that you can shoot at a fast enough shutter speed that IS becomes less important, even at long focal lengths.

If you want to do a panning shot where you keep the aircraft in focus but the background is blurred then IS will be helpful as you need to keep the shutter speed somewhat slow to get that effect.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:10 pm 

Hi Smg-uk,

My first recommendation will be based mostly on how you will be handling the camera, and what are your long term goals with it.

If your goal is to take better photos for yourself, and you're not inclined at becoming a professional, then a superzoom will definitely be a good choice. If you go the DSLR road, chances are you'll need at least 6 months of practice before you notice a huge improvement in your photos. That's if you take photos very regularly. If you take your camera out once a month, it'll be years before you can adjust the settings on your camera fast enough from shot to shot, and instinctively have an idea of what works in which situation.

The other recommendation will be budget-wise. The cheapest lens in the 300mm range is probably Canon's 75-300mm III which still sells for about 200$ new. It is complete rubbish, and a superzoom's lens will probably outperform this any day. The next step up is Canon's 55-250mm at 300$, which has IS and a decent image quality. Tamron's SP 70-300mm DI VC USD goes for about 500$, and is the first lens I would say is a clear improvement over a superzoom lens in that range. The next best up is Canon's 70-300 IS L USM in the 1500$ range, then you have the 300mm primes which can get expensive very quickly.

Then you have to add a camera body, which even if you go with an outdated model, will still cost you at least 200-300$ for an old model usually with an 18-55mm kit lens.

So basically the very least you could get away with is 500$ for an old DSLR with a 55-250mm, and the recommended would be at least 700$ for a 200$ DSLR and a Tamron SP 70-300mm. In both cases, you will have an old DSLR with a tiny LCD screen in the back.

But if you want to spend the time to learn how to use a DSLR, then those combos will definitely be worth it on the long run. The first day you get your DSLR, though, you'll probably feel a bit lost and probably your photos will be a bit worse than your z990's. But they will improve over time.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:50 pm 
Think i wanna stick with a superzoom rather than get another DSLR for now.

So if anyone can help me choose the best out of these for taking photo's of aircraft/wildlife/ and my 5 month old daughter i would be most grateful :mrgreen:

Canon SX40 - I like this camera and i originally wanted the SX30 and apparently its got the best IQ ? but its also apparently the slowest and useless for any kind of action photography.

Panasonic FZ150 - Apparently this is the best superzoom especially for action but its also the most expensive and maybe the most complicated to use?.

Sony HX100V - Can't find as much out about this one but if anyone owns one would love to hear what you think ?.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:27 pm 

Ive loved the Lumix Superzooms for quite a long time, so Id recommend to read Gordon's (or Ken's?) review really well. Yes, it's the most expensive -if you say so-, but it's far from hard to use/ understand.

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies