Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:47 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:45 am 
Hi all...

I was off the updates about the latest cameras atleast since last year. There are so many new compact cams with latest technologies and I'm so confused.

May be you can suggest.. Expecting fatherhood in just a couple of months :) exited....My requirement is to shoot newly born baby.

-> Since it will be in a hospital, we do not know how the lighting would be and I cant use flash!
-> We are shown the newly born for very less time so I need to get the focus fast and get a good pic...
-> I believe all the latest models have good Image Stabilization (Optical).. I NOT looking for a ISO hyped image stabilization...

I also have a dslr (400D) but suspecting that would not be allowed there.. So, looking for a cam which has good low light performance with fast focusing and some manual adjustments too so that I can use it as an alternate to my 400D to places where I cant take the big one.

regards,

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:32 am 

congratulations, its an exciting time.
ahhm, take the 400D and put a canon 50 1.4 prime on. I am sure they will understand in the hospital. Just hide it in a bag or something.That is what I would do. But practice indoors first and make sure you get the focusing right in low light.
Spend the money on a canon 50 1.4 and you will get plenty of use once baby comes home.

A compact is not going to come close to the same low light ability. Unless you go to the new EVIL or mirrorless stuff like the Sony Nex or see here http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panas ... x_DMC_GX1/
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Sony_Alpha_NEX_7/

There is a few compacts that aren`t too bad, the S100 from Canon that is pretty good in low light and the Panasonic LX-5. We have got the older S95. It now lives in wife`s handbag and goes everywhere with us, to capture those special moments.
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon ... ndex.shtml
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panas ... x_DMC_LX5/

Canon Powershot S95, Canon 6D,7D, Canon 40 2.8 STM, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 15-85, Canon 85 1.8, Sigma 30 1.4, 50mm 1.8, Canon 100 2.8L Macro, Canon 70-300L +Kenko 1.4 Pro 300DGX, Canon 430EX II and RS 4 Classic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:36 pm 

I have the Canon S90 and our's also lives in my wife's purse. As far as compacts go, that series (S90/S95/S100) are really impressive, and offer you good aperture at wide angles. For ISO, though, you are kind of limited at ISO 200, anything above that becomes really grainy. So yes, a 50mm prime, or maybe even a bit wider, such as a 28mm f/1.8 would probably be good picks. If you have a chance of seeing the room where you will take the pictures before, it can help you see which focal length will work best. Then again, you can always rent a 17-55 f/2.8 and you'd be good in a variety of situations.

I find that the general tolerance towards DSLRs is very high now. If you think it could be an issue, don't put on a white L lens, don't put a flash on top, and don't use lens hoods. A 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS USM with lens hood on a 1DX and a speedlite 600-EX-RT are infinitely more intimidating than a 400d with a 50mm f/1.8.

If you need to sneak it in, keep the camera body and lens separate until use, you can fit them in different pockets or something.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:45 am 
Jean-Pierre, DSLR is definitely not a solution for me. I should only go for a compact camera.. However a you said the Canon S90/95 seems to have some noise issues beyond iso200..

Since lighting is an issue and cant use flash on baby, Have to rely on ISO, big aperture to get more light in and quick focusing... thinking of Panasonic or Sony...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:16 pm 
Thanks Maxjj..

I will try to sneak in with the 400D and will try to get the 50mm too for future purpose, but if that does not work out then I will have no cam so need to have a secondary handy as a backup.

Just checked .. S100/S90/S95 are all out of my budget.

I liked the Canon IXUS 310 HS (OR otherwise called PowerShot ELPH 500 HS) because it has got large aperture and good focusing speed. Want to see if any other cam which has better potential

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:24 am 
After a very long research I have found that there are three cameras that fit my requirement. However, I have never handled them before. So, would like to have a secondary opinion from people who have used it.

Canon PowerShot SX220 HS
Canon IXUS 310 HS
Nikon P300 (with superb f1.8 lens, it has smaller sensor though)

All the upgraded models to the above three cameras are beyond my budget.

Please help me choose the best one

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:44 pm 

On paper it's between the P300 and the IXUS 310HS but you shouldn't rely on a dry list of specs - you may prefer to use and get better results from whichever is considered inferior. Is there no option to try them out at a local store?

Have you not asked the maternity ward at the hospital what their policy is for doing photography and if you can take in your 400D? You can save yourself a bit of cash instead of having to worry about a backup plan if the smoke and mirrors strategy of "sneaking in" your 400D fails. Given that it's a newborn's first photo, I'd imagine the hospital would be understanding and make concessions as long as you don't do photos that have nothing to do with the little one. Not that I'm trying to call it blackmail but it would be bad PR for a hospital if they refused to allow someone to have photos taken of their newborn on the grounds that the camera was "professional-looking".

CSCs: Panasonic DMC-GF3
Lenses: Panasonic Lumix G 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:34 am 
@Rorschach: "Have you not asked the maternity ward at the hospital what their policy is for doing photography and if you can take in your 400D?"

You are surely right. I did not ask the hospital about their policy about photographing yet. But I did hear security at the entrance saying this.. however this is not for sure. I have just mailed them now about their policy for doing photography. Will wait and see what their reply would be.

However the plan for compact camera is for further usage also, when we travel out (because other members of my family do not know how to use the canon 400D) so I would rather have a small cam when going out with family, so that it would be easier for them to shoot the pics too. Also there is the advantage of taking videos whenever possible or as situation demands.

regards,
Phani Kumar.