Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:23 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 1:42 pm 
I would like to upgrade from a point and shoot to a better camera and am looking at two models that are within my budget and seem to offer what I am looking for - the Canon Rebel T3i also known as 600 D and the Sony Apha SLT A55.

I read your reviews and both cameras sound great and suitable. I have had a Canon as well as a comparable Nikon in my hands and took photos and liked both. We know people that own those cameras and love them. I have not had a chance to try the Sony anywhere nor do we know anybody who owns one.

Seems this is a personal preference but how do I know mine? Is there a place that lets you try cameras?

Besides taking photos on trips and at gatherings and events, I like to photograph horses. They can be standing still or they can be moving objects. I also like to take short video clips of my riding students but those dont have to have a great quality as long as the camera is able to deal with a dusty riding indoor riding arena.

Somehow I feel that I lean towards Canon but that is for reasons that I cant even explain. Brand image?

Online research seems to suggest the Sony battery lasts longer, the video quality is better and it can take more frames per second.

Any opinions?

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:53 pm 

Video quality can be better based on a lot of factors such as the lens you're using, ISO settings and ambient lighting conditions. The 550D (the 600D's predecessor) can take some superb quality videos and frankly, I can't imagine the A55 being appreciably better if you're talking about video quality and quality alone at their price point. In my view, the most noteworthy benefit the A55 has over the 600D in terms of video recording is that it has full-time AF so when tracking moving subjects, it can be much more convenient.

While the A55 can shoot faster, that doesn't always mean you'll capture the action better - there have been several reports of Sony's SLT cameras not focusing on quite the right spot in burst mode on the subject so the faster continuous shooting rate may become a moot selling point. That's not to say it doesn't happen with the 600D but you shouldn't rely on a dry list of statistics and specifications.

I don't know where you're based but any self-respecting CE/photography store in the Western world should allow you to try a camera since they should appreciate you're going to spend a substantial amount of money do you'd want to know you made the right choice. A chain store should have demonstration stock for your to handle. If a smaller store has no demo stock and refuses to let you hold and try the camera out, the chances are that there will be somewhere else close by more than willing to oblige you and you can remind them of that - if they won't open the box to let you try the camera out, neither should your wallet.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 12:38 am 
thx for sharing, it is much appreciated. I went to a big store today to hold both cameras and try them as you recommended and it was good I did. Thx for the advice!!