Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:31 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: One of Gordons Tutorial
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 6:58 am 
Hi - Just brand new to photography and have a Nikon D7000. Apart from not knowing much about photography, there are far too many buttons and functions on my camera. I just got onto this site and straight away donated a small $10 because I cant believe how such an informative site would not request a cover charge. Anyway, I just watched the tutorial on sunset photography and Gordon (I hope I got his name right) talkd about under ompensating to get a better sunset, and he said to do this in the P mode. Thia does not work for me and I can only see the exposure compensating function when I am in the M mode. Does anyone know why?

Thankyou
I m in Australia so I dont know if they have made special cameras for us for soles

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:30 am 

Hi welcome to the forums. There is a wealth of info here for both beginner and expert. I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me can help but my understanding is this.

Gordon's tutorial refers to p mode this is Program mode and is found on a canon by turning the dial on the top of the camera to P.

On a Nikon d7000 I believe it's exactly the same there are P M S an A modes.

In P mode you have full control of ISO, shutter speed and aperture to ensure you get the exposure you desire. You need to use the scroll wheel to change the exposure whilst in p mode.

The best I can suggest is experiment. Try different combinations and see what works best for you.

Whilst in the p mode press and hold the ev button and then use your scroll wheel to vary the exposure. Over or under expose. Then take the photo.

I use av mode a lot and I don't use p mode very much at all. Sorry.

With these cameras there are multiple combinations of Iso, aperture and shutter speed. All affect the exposure. Using the p mode enables you to very easily control a under or over exposed shot.

It may help to try re-watching Gordon's tutorial whist playing with your camera. I know I do !

Good luck.

:D

Got some of the gear but really still no idea...:)

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 6:02 pm 

Welcome to the forum! :)

I don't shoot with a D7000, so I will let others provide answers. It is certainly possible to shoot anything in manual mode, as that is all some folks use. My wife does shoot with a D7000, and if I can get a chance in the next couple of days, I will ask if she has shot sunsets with it. I do seem to recall that the D7000 does have some controls that are arranged a bit differently than most earlier Nikons.

Canon 7D/5D/40D/1D2N; Nikon F6, D700, FM3A, & Coolpix A; Canon 40mm 2.8 STM, 135L, 50L, 35L, 50mm 1.8 I, 100mm 2.8L Macro, 10-22mm EF-S, 28-135 EF, 400mm 5.6L; Nikkor 50mm 1.2 AI-S, 50mm 1.4G, 50mm 1.8D, 16mm 2.8D Fisheye, 180mm 2.8D, 100-300mm 5.6 AI-S, 18mm 2.8D, Voigtlander 90mm f/3.5 SL II

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:27 am 

Hi Burbler welcome to the forum. Most of the time shooting P mode gives a reasonable standard of photo. I found the D7000 over exposures most of the time, I have mine set on -0.7 EV all the time. This is bright sunny /overcast days.

P mode is a good start, just have a look at the setting the camera choices in different conditions and this will give you a base line when you shoot in other modes. I would not recommend M mode for any beginner without some experience, including me.

Yes, the D7000 has a lot of buttons but they are easy and quick to use without going into menus. I can only suggest going through the manual stage by stage with camera in hand and seeing for yourself what the manual is telling you. Also look at the tutorials on the forum which are quick and informative.

For me it's a great easy to use camera :D , have fun.

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:14 am 
Hey guys thanks very much for all of your advice. I just joined a camera club (tonight) where I live and so many people had the D7000. I learned a lot and got answers to my question. STill gunna hammer this site for all the info I can and hopefully one day, will be in a position to help someone else. At the camera club tonight, there was a female model for portrait shots. If I was not married and she had an infatuation for old fat ugly and hairy Harley Davidson riders, I would have married her on the spot!!!
cheers to all 8)

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:27 am 

What Nikon don't advertise, the D7000 draws in the chicks. :shock:

Cheers