Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:20 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Hoya or Nikon Filter
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:02 am 
I love this site! It was great resource to select my new D5100. Now time for a polarizing filter. I just wanted Gordon's tips on using the polarizing filter and saw several links to Hoya filters. What is the view on these versus Nikon? Nikon seems very expensive compared to others, but maybe they are better, I have no clue. What are your thoughts out there?

Post subject: Re: Hoya or Nikon Filter
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 5:44 am 

Hello sklimo, and welcome to the friendly Camera Labs forum!
To enjoy your stay here please have a look at the house-rules!
----
I personally own Hoya filters only (including polarizers) and was always content.
As you'll note there are different grades of filters and normally the more expensive they are the better is the coating on the filter that reduces reflexes and improves transmission and colors. But I wouldn't overestimate this effect.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 4:26 pm 
Thanks for the reply. Yes, it looks like Hoya has several different lines. Can you recommend one that is a good balance of price / quality?

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:10 pm 

I have 3 "Pro1 Digital" and 2 "HMC" type filters.
But if you force me to tell them apart I'm not sure I could do it :roll:

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 2:21 pm 

Hoya.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:32 am 

Thomas what area/s of photography would you use the polariser for?

I have been told I would probly be better going for a polarising filter, but I didn`t tell the sales person what type of photography I was into when they said this to me.

Are UV filters better for some types of photography, and the same for a polarising one?

The Hoya HD Professional Circular Polariser CPL Filter - 77mm was recommended.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:27 am 

A UV-filter should be clear and is mostly for protecting the front lens. In film days it also prevented the film to overexpose sky from the massive amount of ultra-violet light.
A polarizer is to kill reflections on surfaces like water, glass, steel, leaves. That makes the "true" colors come out and is the best tool for looking into water or eliminate unwanted reflections. Leaves tend to come out greener as the typical blue reflection from the sky is damped/eliminated - but you may find that the green now looks dull.
It can also make a clear sky much bluer.
But all this happens only if you turn the polarizer to a certain angle. And if you turn the camera from say landscape to portrait you have to adjust the polarizer again.
It also costs you almost 2 stops of light which the camera will compensate for by automatically exposing +1...+2 EV - or cranking up the ISO depending what program you use.
I have polarizers but hardly ever use them for my type of shots (nature, landscape).
But there are certainly others out there which use a polarizer more often than me.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:05 am 

I ordered a Hoya HD Professional UV Filter instead.

Decided on the hardened glass type as I saw a photo of a badly cracked front lens recently, turned out it was damaged whilst inside a camera bag, wasn`t a pretty picture...

Thanks