Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Stereoscopic pairs
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 2:58 am 
Hi,

I want to create stereoscopic images for some experimentations I am doing with stop-motion animation techniques. Normally, one can create a stereoscopic pair using one camera (ie take photo no. 1, then move camera to second position and take photo no. 2), however I want to photograph objects in motion, so I need to use 2 cameras (so that both photos can be taken simultaneously).

To create a stereoscopic pair, the camera settings for both photos need to be the same. I have a canon powershot S5IS and a Panasonic LUMIX DMC-TZ7 (otherwise known as DMC-ZS3). Can I set the options for these cameras so that they are the same? I have tried to understand the differences between them (with regards to their lenses- focal lengths etc), however I am completely lost.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Post subject: Re: Stereoscopic pairs
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 6:56 am 

Although I don't know the specifics of those cameras, first you have to take into account sensor size. For the same focal length different sensor size will yield a different field of view. So one solution is to determine the crop factor for each camera and set the zooms at the same 35 mm equivalent focal length. This may be difficult because I suppose that on those camera you don't have the option to set the zoom at a specific focal length. Another solution is to place or select markers in your scene that delimit the field of view and by making test shots set the zooms so you'll have the same field of view.
Another problem is the depth of field and, according to the specific situation there may be a difference due to different sensor sizes. This may be corrected, if necessary ( compacts have a generous DOF) you'll have to adjust differently the apertures in order to have the same DoF. this Leeds us to the exposure part, it has to be the same, but I suppose that those cameras shoot only JPEGS and in camera processing is different from brand to brand. you'll have to do test shots with each camera in order to find settings ( contrast, saturation, sharpening, white balance- this one is better if it's made with a grey card for both cameras -and so on) that give you almost the same results.
Hope that helps.
Oh one more thing, if there is a difference in sensor picsel counts you may have to resize the pictures in post production in order to have the same dimensions.

Canon580EXII
http://www.errre.net

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:58 pm 
Thanks for the tips!

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 3:14 am 
Hi Radu,

Apologies for my delayed response, I have been overseas. I greatly appreciate your detailed response - I had no idea that there were so many variables that had to be taken into account! Looks like it is going to be a little more complicated than I had hoped, but your advice will certainly be instructive. Thanks again!

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:02 am 

As said previously, I think you would find a ton of problems trying to achieve a similar look and feel to photos coming from two different cameras, especially from different manufacturers.

Each camera has its kinks when it comes to colours and white balance, and it can be very difficult to make both a canon and panasonic picture look the same. Not impossible with the proper tools and training, but you would probably be better off choosing one camera model and buying an identical 2nd camera.