Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:34 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:15 pm 

The 5D MK3 is pretty amazing. Having come into contact with it two times it leaves me totally envious when comparing it against my 40D in every department. Come to think of it every subsequent release other than the 1D has left me envious of one or more aspects on a new body.

My major bugbear with my 40D is ISO performance from 800, which is why the 5D MK3 (not to mention MK2; despite similar physical characteristics to the 40D) is so attractive; bigger is better in this regard (you guys already know this though). If you take into account all the ingredients borrowed from other bodies chucked into the MK3 cocktail its a pretty compelling package.

If I may add my two cents worth to recent postings, the line in the sand between the 5D MK3 and D800 are down to their resolving power, which enables the latter camera to render fantastically sharp images in favorable and controlled conditions. The 5D reduced resolution enables it to process images faster and handle noise better at these higher ISOs, and therefore making it more of an allrounder, which is ultimately what I'm looking for in a camera right now. That's not to say that the D800 can't be an all rounder, it's just the new 5D is more flexible in less favorable conditions.

However desirable the new 5D maybe to me, as a mere enthusiast £3000 is a big ask (and that's before I trade in my EF-S glass for compairable EF lenses or comparibles) and this price is based on how many professionals are going to using them (which is going to be high). Sure the prices will receed in the next 12 months, but by how much (£2200)? I don't think enough to make it the current going price of £1600 for the MK2, which has little to trumpet apart from a Full Frame sensor these days.

This is the only thing I totally dislike about the new 5D MK3; its price.

I think I'll be keeping my eyes skinned for the 60D and 7D replacments; lets see what a new generation APS-C sensor can offer us in terms of ISO peformance.

Canon EOS 6D & 40D w. 24-105mm f4L IS USM + 70-200mm f4L IS USM + 28mm f1.8 USM + 50mm f1.4 USM + 100mm f2.0 USM Canon S95, Canon EOS 300 and Rolleiflex f3.5 TLR

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:38 am 

Gordon, great review. But I'm just wondering about the resolution difference between the D800 and the 5Dmk3. Even at 20MP, the Nikon is visibly FAR superior. But considering that the 5D was shot with the "kit" lens and the Nikon was shot with a FAR more expensive and generally acknowledged superior lens, that doesn't seem fair. I would think you could have used the 24-120 on the Nikon or the 24-70 on the Canon to get a fairer comparison. Of course, ideally, the identical lens on both bodies would have been the best option.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:41 am 

Hi folks,

Slashgear report here that Canon has frozen shipments of the 5D3 pending resolution of the light leak issue as detailed in this Canon USA advisory. It would be strange if this freeze just applies to those two territories but I haven't been able to track down any official Canon announcement.

Bob.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:38 pm 

HenryT2 wrote:
Gordon, great review. But I'm just wondering about the resolution difference between the D800 and the 5Dmk3. Even at 20MP, the Nikon is visibly FAR superior. But considering that the 5D was shot with the "kit" lens and the Nikon was shot with a FAR more expensive and generally acknowledged superior lens, that doesn't seem fair. I would think you could have used the 24-120 on the Nikon or the 24-70 on the Canon to get a fairer comparison. Of course, ideally, the identical lens on both bodies would have been the best option.

I agree the extra MP on the D800 makes the comparison unfair. But every one is comparing it to the 5D3. They're in the same price range. Inevitable. What review site isn't comparing the two cameras?? The D800 will always out resolve the 5D3 under ISO 1600. Irrespective of lens used.

It's even scored better than it's big brother the D4 in DXO Lab testing. Google it.

The "kit lens" supplied with the 5D3 is an L series lens. So in this respect the test wasn't unfair.

Knowing all this i think the 5D3 will still be my next DSLR. As the D800 won't allow for volume level adjustment during recording. DUMB. Deal breaker for me. Even with it's resolving power. DR superiority. Low light ability.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:45 pm 

AGC888 wrote:
The "kit lens" supplied with the 5D3 is an L series lens. So in this respect the test wasn't unfair.

Especially as the 24-105mm is sharper than the first version of the 24-70mm - and I don't know if you can get the second version already....

Canon EF 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 USM + EF 24-105mm 4L IS USM + EF 100-400mm 4.5-5.6L IS USM + EF 50mm 1.8 II + EF 100mm 2.8L Macro IS USM + Sigma 12-24mm 4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM + Canon Speedlite 580 EX II + Nissin Speedlite Di 466

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:34 am 

Hi folks,

It seems that Canon have identified the light leak issue. If you are affected you'll need to contact your local Canon office but, from this BJP page amongst others:

"The affected products [are] EOS 5D Mark III digital SLR cameras whose sixth digit in the serial number is 1 or 2. For example, 'xxxxx1xxxxxx' or 'xxxxx2xxxxxx'," says Canon.
    Canon has now offered to repair the faulty cameras free of charge. "The products affected by this issue will be inspected and repaired after 10 May," says Canon. "Therefore you are kindly requested to contact one of our authorised service facilities."

That's a light result, then. :lol:

Bob.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:15 pm 

Good to know Canon is taking care of the light leak issue for those already with 5D3 cameras. Free of charge. This problem should be absent from future shipments.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:06 am 

Just got mine... It is amazing! It's so responsive and easy to use. The autofocus is ridiculously fast, even in low light. The viewfinder is huge, and the image quality is incredible. The first night I got it I exclusively shot at 12800 ISO inside in low light. Noise is visible when zoomed in, but non at all obtrusive. I seriously think that 12800 on the 5D Mark III is a bit better than 1600 on the T1i! So for everything other than landscapes on a tripod, I've left it on Auto ISO in aperture priority mode.
The noise performance is amazing, but I kind of expected that (based on early reviews). What I did not AT ALL expect, however, was the overall sharpness and clarity of the photos. I have to say this was what surprised me the most. I shot everything in raw, and then converted the raws to jpegs in camera with no sharpness applied. When you zoom into 100% it still looks like a normally sharp photo! You can barely see any difference in sharpness between that magnification and zoomed back out. - I still can't believe it.
Also, the feel of the camera is great too. It's really ergonomic and just feels right in my hands.
It's hard to describe how good this camera is. I think that when you put all of these great features (like 61 point autofocus, 6fps, noise performance, image sharpness etc...) together into this one body, the camera becomes really special. All these features work together to make the camera way better than what you see on the spec list.

Another thing adding to this surreal experience is the two L lenses that I bought with the 5D. The 24-105 f4 and the 16-35 f2.8 II. I don't care that the 24-105 is only f4 and not 2.8 because the ISO easily makes up for that lost stop on the 5D. The background blur is also easily achievable given the compression at 105mm and nature of a full frame sensor. The 16-35 is great too. It's equivalent to what my 10-22 was giving me on my T1i, but it's 2.8 which makes it even nicer.
Both of these lenses are built amazingly and are a huge jump up in terms of build quality from the 17-55 f2.8 and the 10-22. The focus and zoom rings are so smooth and they feel like they can withstand some abuse while shooting.

I can't wait to go out and keep shooting with all this amazing new gear!

Just took this shot with the 5D Mark III and the 16-35 II tonight:

http://www.JordanSternPhotography.com

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:54 am 

Congrats on getting yours (I have to wait till the end of the year because i am away from my home city..prefer to buy locally). My question is...while I know the AF is supposed to be very fast...is it so with any lens used or just "fast lenses" with fast AF motors and those without motors relying on the 5D3's AF motor?

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:03 am 

Hi Jordan,

May I wish you a warm welcome to the CameraLabs forum.

And congratulations on the new camera. I remember being similarly excited when I got my 5D2 shortly after it was launched and I also had the 24-105mm and 16-35mm lenses as well as the EF 70-200mm f/4 IS USM. Have fun. 8)

Bob.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:55 pm 

AGC888 wrote:
"fast lenses" with fast AF motors and those without motors relying on the 5D3's AF motor?

That sounds like confusing Canon and Nikon - all EF lenses do have a motor, the cameras don't have one. There are just the faster ultrassonic motors (USM) and "normal" micro motors - but they are all inside the lens.
So in in this case I think the lenses are the limiting factor. Those that have to move more glass or don't have the USM will be slower.

Well - I guess I'll get this camera around the end of the year - and I hope it will cost a bit less until then.

Canon EF 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 USM + EF 24-105mm 4L IS USM + EF 100-400mm 4.5-5.6L IS USM + EF 50mm 1.8 II + EF 100mm 2.8L Macro IS USM + Sigma 12-24mm 4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM + Canon Speedlite 580 EX II + Nissin Speedlite Di 466

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:59 pm 

Jiko

I always assumed the EOS lenses also had a mix of w/ motors and w/o like Nikon. That EOS cameras have AF motors. I guess I overlooked this when looking at Canon products. So, when people say "...the AF on the 5D3 is responsive.." they are mistaken in thinking it's only the 5D3. I guess it's a combination of the new AF system in the camera and a fast lens with a USM motor.

Last edited by AGC888 on Wed May 09, 2012 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 4:58 pm 

While the lens' intrinsic characteristics will be one limit of the focus speed, the other is what the body tells it to do. A weaker AF system might need more time to find the sweet spot for example.

Also I've heard unconfirmed talk that some bodies like the 1D series can offer more power to the lens, which allows them to focus a bit faster. I don't know if that's true or not.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:36 am 

I've read about the focus points, and some of them are 2.8, while others are F4. This is confusing - even after reading the manual which I got online. (Actually, it was an explanation of the 1DX auto-focus system, but they are the same, after all.)

The center 5 are dual cross-type 2.8. By dual cross-type, I assume they mean that these points pick-up differences in contrast not only vertically and horizontally, but also diagonally as well. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Now comes the part that stumps me - the fact that the center five points are 2.8. Other points are 4 and still others 5.6. What does this mean? Do the center points work BETTER with a lens that can open up to 2.8? Certainly it doesn't mean that only 2.8 lenses can use the center points.

Anyway, a clear explanation would be much appreciated!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:23 am 

From the Canon manual.

Quote:
"All 61 AF points of the Canon 5D III are usable with every Canon lens of f/5.6 or faster."

"(1) All 61 AF points of the Canon 5D III are usable with every Canon lens of f/5.6 or faster. Of the 61 AF points, 41 are cross typed sensors with aperture f/4 or brighter and 5 double across type with f/2.8 or brighter

(2) 41 cross type focus points are compatible with aperture between f/2.8 and f/4

(3) 21 cross type central focus points are compatible with f/5.6"

As I have read others understand this as well as a little help from Wikipedia, a focus point can be more or less advanced by increasing the amount of "photosensitive strips" which make up the system that receives light in a phase detection auto-focus point. Now given two auto-focus points of equal size however one being double cross and the other single, the double cross type will need more light to take advantage of its increased complexity to give higher focus accuracy than it's simpler contender.

Quote:
Phase detection is achieved by dividing the incoming light into pairs of images and comparing them. Secondary image registration (SIR), through the lens passive phase detection is often used in film and digital SLR cameras. The system uses a beam splitter (implemented as a small semi-transparent area of the main reflex mirror, coupled with a small secondary mirror) to direct light to an AF sensor at the bottom of the camera. Two micro-lenses capture the light rays coming from the opposite sides of the lens and divert it to the AF sensor, creating a simple rangefinder with a base within the lens's diameter. The two images are then analysed for similar light intensity patterns (peaks and valleys) and the separation error is calculated in order to find if the object is in front focus or back focus position. This instantly gives the exact direction of focusing and amount of focus ring's movement. [2]

Although AF sensors are typically one-dimensional photosensitive strips (only a few pixels high and a few dozen wide), some modern cameras (Canon EOS-1V, Canon EOS-1D, Nikon D2X) feature area SIR[citation needed] sensors that are rectangular in shape and provide two-dimensional intensity patterns for a finer-grain analysis. Cross-type focus points have a pair of sensors oriented at 90° to one another, although one sensor typically requires a larger aperture to operate than the other. Some cameras (Canon EOS-1V, Canon EOS-1D, Canon EOS 30D/40D) also have a few 'high precision' focus points with an additional set of prisms and sensors; they are only active with 'fast lenses' of certain focal ratio. Extended precision comes from the increased diameter of such lenses, so the base of the 'range finder' can be wider.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase_dete ... _detection

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next