Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:01 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:32 am 
Hi all,

I am a student in animation and next semester I'll be doing stop-motion animation. I was looking to buy a DSLR. My price range is the one of the 60D, the 7D is a little bit to pricy for my budget. I went to a store, the guy there (who apparently has been doing Stop-Motion) recommended me the 60D (obviously since it's the most expansive...). Since I'll be shooting a lot picture for sometimes 12-14 hours straight, he told me that the 60D has been tested for professional production while the T3i hasn't. He also mentionned that I have more control over the settings of the lighting parameters. He said that overall, the 60D would last longer then the T3i, taking in consideration the type of work I'll be doing. He said it has been tested for something around 1 milions pictures compared to 250 000 for the T3i. But he also told me that the body was made of magnesium, which isn't true, so that's why I'd like to validate his saying before making any expansive purchase.

On the other hand, I also want to use the camera on a day to day basis, taking all kinds of pictures and the size and weight of the T3i interested in that sense.

So anyway, regardless of all the "cool" features of the 60D like the faster burst mode, better viewfinder, etc. Is it true this camera is tougher, will last longer, is less likely to overheat and is more reliable for long hours of Stop-Motion work?

Thanks
A.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:52 pm 

andy_rosemary wrote:
On the other hand, I also want to use the camera on a day to day basis, taking all kinds of pictures and the size and weight of the T3i interested in that sense.

So anyway, regardless of all the "cool" features of the 60D like the faster burst mode, better viewfinder, etc. Is it true this camera is tougher, will last longer, is less likely to overheat and is more reliable for long hours of Stop-Motion work?

The 60D is certainly more robust and it's expected to last for more shutter actuations than the 600D. I can't comment about overheating though I've never had overheating issues with my 550D with long exposures or repeated shooting (I've had occasions when I did 500+ RAW & JPEG shots per hour).

Perhaps you should ask yourself if you're likely to do so many shots that the 60D will be a better option than the 600D or if its other benefits warrant getting it instead i.e. you'll find and make use of those benefits regularly.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 5:32 pm 

andy_rosemary wrote:
So anyway, regardless of all the "cool" features of the 60D like the faster burst mode,

It is faster indeed and one main point: it sounds nicer.

Quote:
better viewfinder, etc.

Theory. In practical use the difference is minimal.

Quote:
Is it true this camera is tougher,

Yes. Slightly.

Quote:
will last longer,

Yes.

Quote:
is less likely to overheat

I don't think so.

Quote:
and is more reliable for long hours of Stop-Motion work?

Well - the 60D has the better battery - but that's about it.

If you are using it for stop motion only - and that will probably happen in combination with a tripod and maybe even control via computer and Canon's software to remote control the camera - the 600D is probably enough. Still if I had to choose I'd get the 60D because of the better handling when handholding the camera and because of different other improvements - like the faster burst rate, the nicer shutter sound etc.

Canon EF 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 USM + EF 24-105mm 4L IS USM + EF 100-400mm 4.5-5.6L IS USM + EF 50mm 1.8 II + EF 100mm 2.8L Macro IS USM + Sigma 12-24mm 4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM + Canon Speedlite 580 EX II + Nissin Speedlite Di 466

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:06 pm 

I could be mistaken on this, but I believe the overheating only applies to when a camera is being used as video, and a heavy use as well, rather than doing stills.
This is why they put a heat-sink on a 5DIII.
Between the 60D and the T3i (600D), I did not think there was any difference in this aspect.

If your budget calls for the less expensive camera, I would go for that.
I would also recommend looking at a T2i (550D) or a T1i (500D) as the image quality improvements between all 4 of these cameras is not much.

Also, when doing stop motion, it will take time to re-position what you are shooting to then take another shot. This is not an intense use of the camera compared to what other people use it for in burst mode. The only intensity is the amount of use you are using it for over a longer time span.

Also, there is a warranty from Canon on new items. You can also get a third-party warranty.

Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX, Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II
Canon 430EX II
Opteka 13mm, 21mm, and 31mm extension tubes
Vivitar 50mm f/1.8 for OM System

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:52 am 

All else being equal--and the general consensus seems to be that, for your primary use (stop-motion animation), they are--Murphy's Law being what it is, I'd buy the cheaper one in case you have to replace it. Yes, a 60D should outlast a T3i, and 99% of them probably will. But if you happen to have one of the few that doesn't, and it breaks when you have an assignment due at the end of the week...

My 2ยข - Mark

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:06 pm 

for stop motion, take 600D, you will have vari angle lcd that will be useful, you dont need other stuff that 60D can offer. If i were you, i would consider 550D with laptop connection, so you can shoot tethered - another saved buck.

Canon AT-1, 50mm FD F1.8
Canon A430,

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:05 am 

The t2i/550d would probably be sufficient when it comes to image quality. It even has a very good 1080p video mode if you ever need it with manual control. For photos alone, the T1i/500d would be sufficient.

Typically cameras are built to survive a minimum of 100'000 shutter clicks. I read of some T2i cameras that made it well above the 500'000 clicks. 100k clicks does seem impressive, but at 30 fps, that's 3333 secs of video, or 55 minutes of video, or almost an hour. Scary, eh? Professional cameras are built for even more durability. I think the Nikon D4 aims at a minimum of 650k, but that's a quote from my unreliable memory.

As far as overheating goes, you would need a 5dIII to find something significantly better, and then again I only ever experienced overheating after doing 1 hour of video in Mexico, and it was only a warning light, I ran out of batteries and memory cards before the camera got to the point of auto-shutdown. I checked around, and you can still safely film with it, it just deteriorates the image quality of your photos during the overheating phase and does not affect your video. After the camera cools down, everything is back to normal.

The T3i/600d would bring a tilty-swivelly screen which could be very practical when taking pictures at odd angles, which you probably will.

Then you can take the money you saved compared to the 60d, and buy better lenses, some lighting equipment, extra batteries or A/C plug.

The T4i/650d with 18-135 STM lens could be a good option if you want to be much more serious about video. The T4i should have better low-light performance if that makes a difference.