Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:50 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: D40 good enough?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:47 pm 
(I also posed this question as a reply to a thread :D )

I am a casual photographer who takes photos mainly of family, sporting events, and nature so an all purpose lens is important. I am looking to upgrade my kit lens on my D40 which has served me well for several years. I am most interested in the 18-200 but as I am reading through some comments I am now left wondering if the D40 body has some limitations. Should I instead consider the D7000? I am happy with the D40 but am a bit confused if it will give me the results I see in the sample photos on Gordon's page. He was probably not using the D40. I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: D40 good enough?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:34 am 

I used the 18-200 on the D40x, it's a dream compared to kit lens I've got, IQ and the AF was fast. I could not fault it on the D40x. If you are happy with the D40, I would keep it until it won't do what you want.

Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:18 am 

Keep the D40 - it served me well for a good 6 months when I was using it for work. If you are happy then nothing wrong with the camera - and the 18-200 lens will enhance your shooting experience imo.

The only reason you would aim for the D7000 is a better metering system, more MP, faster continous shooting, and some access to some pro features like crosstyoe auto focus which the D40 doesnt have, and also some access to PC sync ports etc that ppl use for studio flash or lighting etc. And of course, video functions.

And if you think you desperately need the above upgrades (Im sure there are a few more I have forgotten) then sure upgrade to the D7000, otherwise, keep the D40, get some nice lenses and then maybe in 3 years time or less get the new DX000 or DX00 incarnation Nikon has to offer, or get a D7000 when it gets cheaper or about to be pushed out of production when the new ones come out.

REmember, Manual functions are 99% the same on almost all camera bodies... Manual, Apeture, Shutter, Exposure compensation, ISO etc...

4) Leica M [50mm Summicron Pre-aspherical - Silver]

http://www.poetproductions.net

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:45 am 

I happily use my D40 alongside my D90 and D7000. It's a good little camera, and I like that 6MP sensor.

Investing in lenses is never a bad thing.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:19 pm 

Definitely, you can always rely on exposure, ease of use, and superb quality images, although a little small for my hands sometimes :) I'm keeping mine(they still command a high price second hand for a good one!!)

John

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:39 am 

The D40 has the 1/500 flash sync speed, KEEP IT! :lol:
No, the D40's just a great DSLR. It can take stunning pictures if you want it to do, and as long as you dont feel you couldnt do something because of the camera, go out and shoot ;)

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:37 pm 
I'm new and this is my first post so...

I still use my D40. I have a D5100 as well, but when I leave my house to do any photography, I always grab my D40. It's just a great camera in my opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:50 pm 
I just upgraded to a D90 from a D40 myself, and I can tell you I was sorry to let go of my good old D40; as some others have already written, it's just a great camera that can take stunning looking pictures right out of the box, it's compact, it's light and it's easy to use. And I couldn't care less about the pixel count, I never missed a single extra MP, that "humble" 6.1 MP sensor still delivers the goods, period (except those interested in heaving cropping, of course).

My advise is that if you're happy with it, just keep it! :wink: The only reason I upgraded is because I really wanted more flexibility and control, I missed direct access to ISO, WB, quality, burst mode, etc. I found a great deal for a brand new D90 and decided to go for it.

If you decide to upgrade though, I wouldn't recommend you to go for a D3x00 or D5x00, is just not worth the effort or the money IMHO, the natural step forward from the D40 is an "enthusiast" model like the D90 or D7000. You'll see what I mean when you look through that glorious, bright pentaprism viewfinder and start playing with all those extra control buttons. :mrgreen: