Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:11 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:05 pm 
I'm looking at getting a video camera to video my grandkids sports games and other family type videos. I was looking at the Panasonic tm900 camcorder which is around $800. I read several positive threads about the FZ150 capabilities. Can anyone comment on the FZ150 "ease of use" as a video camera? In particular:

Can it maintain focus while videoing lacrosse, flag football, baseball, etc?

Can you shoot long clips (say 30-40 minutes).

Would the Fz150 be as good in low light?

Any other comments?

Thanks!

Berto

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:23 am 

Since no one's replied yet, I'll give it a shot. In reverse order:

Generally, if your primary interest is video, you will almost always be better off with a dedicated video camera.

I would guess that the TM900's 3 sensors and faster lens would give it better low light performance.

E.U. models of the FZ150 are limited to 29 minute takes, U.S. models are not.

Assuming day games where you can use a small aperture to give you deep DoF, I don't see why the FZ150 would have a problem maintaining focus. But you may want to disable AF so it doesn't hunt unnecessarily, especially since the FZ150's more stills friendly form factor will probably result in less fluid movement when shooting video.

HTH - Mark

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:00 pm 
Thanks. I think I will go with the TM900.

Maestro wrote:
Since no one's replied yet, I'll give it a shot. In reverse order:

Generally, if your primary interest is video, you will almost always be better off with a dedicated video camera.

I would guess that the TM900's 3 sensors and faster lens would give it better low light performance.

E.U. models of the FZ150 are limited to 29 minute takes, U.S. models are not.

Assuming day games where you can use a small aperture to give you deep DoF, I don't see why the FZ150 would have a problem maintaining focus. But you may want to disable AF so it doesn't hunt unnecessarily, especially since the FZ150's more stills friendly form factor will probably result in less fluid movement when shooting video.

HTH - Mark