Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:07 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Compact but bijou
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:24 am 

Im still searching the forums and reading various threads but the long and the short of it is this:

my trusty canon ixus 860IS is dying. too many scratches and too many blurs on the ccd that its now just annoying. So its time to replace.

As i have just spent my well earned bonus on the canon 550 DSLR (rebel T2i) i am not in the market for a hugely expensive compact...but i dont want to compromise on quality.

I like having the option of taking a sharp shot on the fly and its useful just having something that fits in the pocket for those short trips out. Im not in need of long zooms or digital zooms and take i take photos of scenery, my son, the dog...and anything that takes my eye..

I could just plumb for another canon ixus (they have been very good in the past) but i would like to know what people here favor for the camera in the pocket..

Anyone have a recommendation or somehting i should look at ?

:D

Got some of the gear but really still no idea...:)

Post subject: Re: Compact but bijou
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:30 pm 

Id like you to advice the Canon G11 or G12, as well as the S95 and S100. Those offer great quality in a quite compact body.
Im not too aware of other brands' compacts though, but I do know these are well accepted cameras (even by pros).

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:15 pm 

I spent about 3 hrs reading Gordons reviews of all the compacts on this website and prety much agree about the S100 and S95..i think the G11 and G12 are too much for what i am looking for.

The Ixus served me well and i am looking at the IXUS 220 or 230 as well..

i guess the problem is with so many good cameras in this price bracket its difficult to choose... im still trying to differentiate between the powershot range and ixus....

i did consider looking at the Nikon and coolpix stuff but tbh i know and trust the canon range. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:09 am 

robbon44 wrote:
im still trying to differentiate between the powershot range and ixus....

i did consider looking at the Nikon and coolpix stuff but tbh i know and trust the canon range. :roll:

The Powershots are generally larger, bulkier but offer more control and at times better IQ. The Ixus line offers smaller, more compact and stylish cameras, that have good IQ but don't have much more control than WB or EV adjustment. The S100 would probably be a great camera, or the older S95 if you want to save a few bucks. Take a look at Gordon's S95 Review to see how they stack up against each other.

I'm not a huge fan of the Coolpix line either, Nikon's always seemed to be a step behind with compacts when compared to Canon.

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:48 am 

i have just spent all weekend trawling through camera shops and talking to idiot saturday staff.... grrrr

frustrating.

still no camera.

I tried a few Ixus but here is the thing... all these mid range compacts are now getting so small they become fiddly..the way things are going i think im going towards the S95 or S100

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:54 am 

Have you looked at the Olympus XZ-1? There are good reports out about that. I've been going through much the same process as you for the same reasons and have only held back because the rumour machines indicate a possible successor to the XZ-1 later in the year. Happily I'm not in a rush.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:37 pm 

Im still hunting that elusive compact point and shoot but i think i may have found a possible winner

the canon powershot A4000 IS - seems a good mid range camera that fits my needs.

i have read the reviews on here for the A3200 and 3300 but cant find a review for the A4000 ..is there one on these forums ? or does anyone have any experience with this camera ??

my canon allegiance is holding firm ..for now..

http://www.dpreview.com/products/canon/ ... on_a4000is

it is either this or the IXUS 220 HS..... 2 different ranges but similar. :roll: