Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:57 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 35 1.4G or 24-70 on FX
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:15 am 

I shoot mainly cityscapes, Street and architecture. I can see the 24-70 being better for scapes and the 35 better for street.

Probably will end up with the 24-70 and a 35 of some sort eventually but for right now just wondering what you guys think would be the better choice.

Most of the threads I've read discussing this topic (both for Canon & Nikon users), have suggested that once a good 35 1.4 was bought the 24-70 wasn't really missed. Some definitely say go for the 24-70 for it's versatility though.
I suppose it boils down to personal needs and taste...

I shoot a D700 with a 50 1.8G at the moment.

Thanks for any input.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:28 am 

I think it depend on the situation.

If time is of an essence, the 24-70 saves you a lot of lens swapping.
Otherwise I think that the 35mm in addition to your 50mm and maybe a future 24mm is the better choice.

My own 24-70 only comes out in situation that would require me to switch lenses, otherwise I always carry only a prime lens.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:59 pm 

I'm an amateur so don't have to get the shot, so to speak. I can take my time and make mistakes.
I understand that the zoom is more convenient and if I did a wedding or an event, I would definitely opt for the 24-70 over the prime.

As it stands though, I think I could get away with the prime easily.

Thanks for your thoughts. :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:20 pm 

When you already own a 50/1.8G I would definitely go for the 24-70/2.8.
I use the zoom much, much more than the fixed focal 35/1.4G. E.g. when in Venice last fall I shot 13% of all shots with the 35/1.4G but 74% with the 24-70/2.8 (the remaining 13% coming from the 14-24/2.8G). See my report here.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:54 am 

I'd go with the 24-70, mainly for the versatility. If you do need a 35, the 35 f/2D isn't a bad choice, however there's a reason that the 1.4 is so much more expensive, it leapfrogs it when it comes to optical quality. The f/2D suffers from quite a bit of chromatic aberrations wide open, and don't expect pin-sharp images every shot. That being said, the f/2D isn't a slouch by any means, you can see Thomas' comparison here.

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:09 pm 

elbeasto wrote:
I understand that the zoom is more convenient and if I did a wedding or an event, I would definitely opt for the 24-70 over the prime.

Now replace wedding with. I'm on vacation and my wife is waiting for me to take a shot.
That is what pulls me to the 24-70. Otherwise I would have sold it long ago.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:01 pm 
If i were you, i would go for 24-70, what a fantastic lens. I already try it once, very sharp, very fast, silent .... but a bit heavy, ihih, oh and expensive, but it's a great lens. I would like to have one.

If you shot architecture and cityscapes maybe you can use 17-35 2.8 ED. Fantastic lens, very sharp, great to create the most amazing architecture and cityscape photos. And keep using the 50mm for street photography.