Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:39 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:06 am 

Hi All

I am planning to buy a tripod today and needless to say that i am pretty confused now.

My interests in photography is wildlife , portraits , bird photography and planning to take some training in fashion photography as well.

So for the above stated interests do i need light weighted tripod , i know there are some carbon fibre tripods but they are bit expensive to be honest.

I made some choices and below they are.

1) 055XPROB
2) 055CXPRO3
3) 055CXPRO4

Also i am totally confused :( on heads , do i have to go for ball head or 3 way head :?:

My gear as of now is Canon 7d , Canon 70-200 F2.8L IS II USM , 15-85 IS , i might get 400mm F5.6 soon but i dont think most of the time i'll be using this lens on tripod , might get one macro lens soon as well.. so the weight of my photo gear is not abnormal here in my case , but i dont want to change my tripod tomorrow if i end up buying any heavy lens..

Please suggest me as i'll get it today based on your suggestions.

PS : I have gone through Gordon's reviews on manfrotto tripods and only then i narrowed to manfrotto , now my choice is above stated and i want you all gurus here to help me out to further narrow down on my choices.

Regds
Mano

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:06 pm 

I would pick the 055CXPRO3! I own the 055XPROB and it's a very good tripod, but it can get heavy, when I'm shooting landscapes all day.
As far as heads go, I would go for the ballhead. When you're shooting wildlife, I imagine you would want to adjust the head very quickly, and the 3 way head is very sloooow compared to a ballhead.

If you want to get into portraiture, headshots, fashion, beauty, ect. I highly recommend Peter Hurleys DVD "The Art Behind The Headshot". Now you might be thinking, $300 for a DVD that's ridiculous!, but the ability Peter has to pull emotions and expressions out of a face is amazing. And the best part is that he teaches you how to do it!

Another recommendation is Zack Arias's course "Studio Lighting". Again a steep price of $150, but he teaches you every thing there is to know about studio photography. Buying a studio setup on a budget, the basics of light and both basic and advanced light setup's.

Victor
Website

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:08 am 

I recently got the 190CXPRO4, I ordered the 3 but they could not deliver it so they sent me the 4 for the same cost. I was looking for something light for bushwalking.
I also go the 498RC4 midi ball head. Its more stable than I expected after reading the reviews and it handles the 7D with flash and 70-300L.

The 190CXPRO3 might be worth considering if you lean more towards light weight, other than that I agree the 550CXPRO3 would be a great choice.

I am glad I got a ball head, my previous old verbon tripod had a three way head and its better for video, but not as good to use as the ball head.

Canon Powershot S95, Canon 6D,7D, Canon 40 2.8 STM, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 15-85, Canon 85 1.8, Sigma 30 1.4, 50mm 1.8, Canon 100 2.8L Macro, Canon 70-300L +Kenko 1.4 Pro 300DGX, Canon 430EX II and RS 4 Classic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:21 am 

Thanks a lot for your suggestions and advises Victor and Maxjj :) ..

I have finally bought one on the same day when i posted this thread and fixed myself to 055XPROB and RC2 ball head.. seems like pretty cool for the moment , after going through the tripod , i felt this one is not actually as heavy as it was reviewed in some websites.. i was bit worried abt the RC2 ball head , but i have to go with it as i was bit short of money :( .. however after a while i am planning for wimberly , guess its class is different from the rest..

thanks once again for your time and suggstions..

Cheers
Mano

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:54 am 
I know this is an old thread but just wondering how you are going with RC2 head? Are you happy with it? Still using it?

I don't have a post to my name on this forum but will give you my 0.02c as i have been shooting for quite a few years with similar sized gear to you (7D, 70-200 F2.8 IS mk2, 180mm macro etc)

The following might help you with your next head purchase.

I started out with a 055 XPROB which I am still using today, it is a very nice tripod but is a little heavy if you are walking with it for long distances.

My first head was a Gitzo G2272M which is a 3 way head, very nice but can not support the gear I am shooting very well.
I then went to a Manfrotto 054 ball head which was quite nice, but had the same problem as the Gitzo - the QR plates are universal and can not be torqued up enough to hold the camera in portrait orientation.

I now use a Really Right Stuff BH-55 with a B2-Pro 2 clamp. It is legendary! I will never buy another brand of camera support again! They are just that good. I also use a RRS L plate, a PCL-1 clamp and various nodal slides for pano work. Next on my list is a TVC-33 tripod with spiked feet and rock claws (this is a $1000US tripod which is overkill for most people)

For you you are doing I highly recommend Manfrotto 055 XPROB or CXPRO3 with a Really Really Stuff BH-40 ball head with B2-Pro 2 clamp and RRS L plate. The RRS stuff is expensive but will outlast every other piece of gear you own. You will not regret it.

Cheers
Sam

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:59 pm 

Thanks Sam

Yeah my experience with Rc2 is not that good to be honest , 055xprob is excellent , sturdy and i didnt find it heavy , but i am in the look out for new tripod head , guess i'll check what you have said and will invest on it.. thanks for sharing ur experience..

Cheers
Mano