Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:49 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:01 am 
Hi Gordon,

I have been through Numerous Forum to find a proper answer, But i am Not able to make up my mind as to which camera Brand , Body, Lens would serve my Purpose towards my type of Photography.

i Currently own a Compact camera Kodak Easyshare DX6490, And my Budget is within 50 thousand Indian Rupees. I have waited for a long time to Own a DSLR however i was not able to. Finally i saved up enough to get my Own DSLR.That's where i needed you help.

I love outdoor and fascinated with Birds, Insects and Landscapes. So which camera body would serve my Purpose, I have never used a DSLR before so i am planning to get the basic lens offered learn the DSLR later on buy Telephoto and Macro Lens . . .The most imp thing for me is to have a proper Camera Body so in time if i wanted to upgrade my camera Body the lens brought, I could still use it for my future or upgraded DSLR. I have gone through all your reviews and was taken up by the way you have delivered for a better and easy understanding for new comers.

So i wanted your help in narrowing down the brand and camera body that i could afford. I was looking at two Brands Nikon and Canon . . . SO if you help me out as to which Camera body would suit me best. Towards Birds Shooting, Insects and Landscape, And i can use the camera body for atleast 3 years from now. ( I am not worried about the Video quality in a DSLR more interested in the Photography part of the DSLR ) .

Regards
Patrick Joseph

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:31 am 

You should look at Sony's DSLRs also I think. High frame rates at a low price point, if that's what youre after. An EVF may also be better for first time DSLR owners Id thought, because of you directly see the differences of the settings you made in the VF, instead of after taking the picture. That can come in handy for birding when it's sometimes quite difficult to get the perfect exposure (but with an EVF you can turn the EV dial to whenever setting that has the best exposure).

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:19 pm 
Hi Reuben,

Sony is a Good Brand., However i am looking at a long run, Since sony have not provided many lens and most of there lens are not compatible to Canon and Nikon through Reviews that i have seen ,I am a beginners in DSLR however i am going to step into it in a big scale once i have learnt DSLR . . . .plus most sony model the battery heats up too fast, I am looking into something that i can Rely on . Canon and Nikon is what i believe in as trusted Brands . . . And in India as Camera they are the Best . . .So pls help me towards canon and Nikon and which model suits my requirement .

And i thank you for taking your time off in replying and Clearing my Doubts . . . .( Question Reuben What the Difference Between EVF and VF )

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:29 pm 

Have you considered looking at things from a different perspective?

For what you plan on shooting, pretty much any camera body will be adequate; the lenses are what you should focus on. For shooting birds, the chances are that you'll need a far-reaching lens whereas for landscapes you'll most likely need a wide angle lens.

You should be able to get either of Canikon's entry level bodies with a kit lens and possibly a 70-300mm within your budget with enough looking around. However, I don't know how DSLRs prices compare in India i.e. if the price is consistent with the USD exchange rate or if it is higher.

If possible, it would be worth visiting a CE/photography store and handling the cameras - the ergonomics can have a significant bearing on which body you'll choose.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:08 am 
Hi Rorschach,

Based on My understanding as to what you have written. The camera does no matter much its all about the Lens. I am really sorry to push on this topic since i am learning about how the camera differs, And its better for me to understand how each of them differ before buying it since i would not know the difference cause all feel the same to me. The main Point i am trying to find out is for Bird photography which camera body would be better. I understand the lens matters more than the camera itself however would i get the same quality. from a D3100 Nikon compared to 550D Canon or would the differ.
I have mentioned the list of camera within my budget below.

So when i am comparing Canon cameras with the basic Stock Lens offered by Canon in India (EF S18 - 55 IS).
Models of canon that's within my Budget:-

EOS 1000D / EOS Rebel XS Price in India INR 25295 / USD $495
EOS 1100D / EOS Rebel T3 Price in India INR 29995 / USD $588
EOS 550D / EOS Rebel T2i Price In India INR 35995 / USD $705

So when i am comparing Nikon cameras with the basic Stock Lens offered by them in India (AF-S 18 - 55mm VR kit Lens). Models of Nikon that's within my Budget:-

DSLR D3100 Price in India INR 32950 / USD $646
DSLR D5100 Price in India INR 42950 / USD $842

So based on my understanding whether i buy a EOS1000D/Rebel XS or EOS 550D/Rebel T2i the photography quality would be the same,( I am not worried about the Videography Quality) Pls do clear my doubts.

Regards
Patrick Joseph

Thank you

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:27 am 

No problem. You're looking to invest a considerable amount of money so it's understandable that you want to be clear about every detail.

I wouldn't go so far as to say the body doesn't matter but for what you're planning on shooting and your budget, it's less important than the glass you put in front of it. The reason why I say the lens is more important in this context is that image quality is determined much more by the lens than with the body. With the range of bodies you mentioned, differences in image quality will be far more apparent when you use a sharper lens.

With your example of the 550D vs the 1000D, the 550D is arguably the superior camera in terms of image quality, low light performance, dynamic range, etc on paper but depending on your subject matter, with the same lens, you may not notice a huge amount of difference using the same kit lens in the real world. However if you stick an L series lens (or just a lens in the middle of Canon's range) in front of the 1000D, you're likely to get sharper, better quality images from it than the 550D still using the kit lens.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:22 pm 
Thank you for taking your time off and replying to my Doubts, Now i am able to relate as to how the DSLR system works . . . Which i was struggling for more than a month. I have just received a call from the store offering a 550D + 18-55 IS & 55-250 ll IS , well Within my Budget, So my Last question and i close this topic. . .

I have gone through quite a Few cameras today and Preferred the 550D compared to 1000D and 1100D
.Might be the cost factor that's involved sometimes i do tend to get crazy.

Now the Last Question is towards Lens:- Camera Body 550D

I am opting for the 18-55 IS for general Use.

Plus based on the Combo 55-250 ll IS is that a good lens for Bird shooting or should i get some other lens . Around the same price of 55-250 ll IS if there are any lens around the same price please do let me know . . . . (USD $250)

Regards
Patrick

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:42 pm 

The 55-250 is generally regarded a great lens all round, especially so for its price. However depending on the birds, quite often you can't get close enough, so a longer focal length can help. The bad news is to get anything much longer, you're also looking at spending a lot more money too. So the 55-250 will make a great start at the price.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:33 am 

Hello Patrick,
Welcome to the friendly Camera Labs forum.

In bird photography there is high probability that you will many times feel what ever zoom you have, is appearing to fall short and longer focal length would have been better :)
My understanding is - it should be better to opt for the Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM Lens which should cost around Rs.12000 INR = USD 230 approx. With this lens you get equivalent zoom of 480mm (300 x 1.6 crop factor) where as with 55-250 you can achieve max of 400 (250 x 1.6 crop factor). The total package of 550D + 18-55 kit with the additional EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM should be less than the budget of INR 50,000 and the saving of Rs.2,500 odd will get you a polarizing filter for use in landscape shots.
Though this lens is not stabilised like the 55-250 ll IS but the difference in stops can well be managed by increasing the ISO to attain higher shutter speed. And as a new entrant to bird photography with DSLR, you will very rarely like to venture to shoot in low light where the IS (Image Stabilisation) might have mattered.
As for the gap between 55(18-55) of kit to 75(75-300) of zoom lens is actually a matter of just few steps.
Me too in India, should it help please feel free to contact over cell no PMed.

Regards,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46710427@N07/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:02 am 
Hi Jagadish,

Thank you for your suggestion on the lens it was helpful,I have never used a DSLR before so choosing the right camera and lens is Important i am sure you agree with me . I have Decided to stick with Canon 550D and stock lens plus being an enthusiast and a Bird lover i wanted to get the Zoom lens, so it was good that you pointed out another lens ,EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM Lens and yes its within my Budget , I live in Chennai right now however based on sudden situation changes we are moving to Bangalore next month, SO my planning had to kept on hold Disappointed in a way however i should be able to buy it when i reach Bangalore. So where are you from .

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:49 pm 

I've used the 55-250 EF-S, and thought it was a good lens for the price.