Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:56 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:04 am 
Am looking to upgrade to full frame (currently have a Canon 500D) and am struggling to pick between the Canon 5D Mk III and Nikon D800

Most of the enthusiast photographers here will advise me to go with the 5D Mk III do to the fact that I already have Canon Lenses, however Most of the lenses I have are EF-S Lenses which are quite useless with a 5D Mk III or any other full frame Canon bodies, The only Lens that I can use on a new 5D Mk III body is my EF 50mm 1.4. Besides, the money I save on an the Nikon D800 Body ($500 cheaper than the Canon 5D Mk III here in Australia) can go towads a nice Nikon Prime to replace the 50mm EF 1.4.

Have done reasearch, read reviews, have held and played with both the 5D Mk III and D800 in my local camer shop, I kike the feel of both cameras but still can't make up my mind.

I like the fact that the 5D Mk III has better shooting capability in low light, faster focusing and also better high ISO performance than the Nikon, but have just seen a review on Digital Rev comparing the two and I love the sharpness and detail in the comparison shots of the D800.

THe camera will be used for portraits, landscapes and wedding photography.

Help! :?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:43 am 

Personally, I REALLY never liked the 36MP in the Nikon - Every 2GB is basically like a roll of film.

BUT... the one thing that trumps the D800 is the superior video mode in the 5DIII - Headphone jack, volume control etc. Things the Nikon doesnt. And to be fair, everything else is pretty close to each other, with 36MP and video the only two main differneces.

I still think having 41 Crosstype AF points over 19 is still better - and therefore I will get the Canon based on that. But otherwise, its all just personal choice when I look at both cameras.

Too bad I already invested in an L lens and and a flash.

4) Leica M [50mm Summicron Pre-aspherical - Silver]

http://www.poetproductions.net

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:39 am 
Leo wrote:
BUT... the one thing that trumps the D800 is the superior video mode in the 5DIII - Headphone jack, volume control etc. Things the Nikon doesnt. And to be fair, everything else is pretty close to each other, with 36MP and video the only two main differneces.

To be honest, am not really fussed about video, am just looking for something that takes really high quality professional grade still shots.

Have had my 500D for over 2 years now and have used the video function on it maybe once.

Leo wrote:
I still think having 41 Crosstype AF points over 19 is still better - and therefore I will get the Canon based on that. But otherwise, its all just personal choice when I look at both cameras.

Very true, the 5D Mk III's superior focusing ability is a very tempting plus for this camera, however I still like the detail and sharp images of the D800. I thought that Kai's latest comparison video on digital rev putting the two cameras head to head would help me make my mind up, but I'm still undecided.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:14 pm 

Hi keenphotoguy,

May I wish you a warm welcome to the CameraLabs forum.

You've probably noticed that Gordon has both cameras in hand at the moment and you can find links to sample images via the site's home page. I'm still playing catch-up on the feature sets of both bodies but I have heard mention of a silent shooting mode on the 5D3 which might work well at weddings. Does the D800 have that?

Let's assume for a moment that even after Gordon's reviews are published you can't split the D800 and 5D3 and even if you could the differences are so minor that they make no matter, either to you or your customers. It seems to me, a self-confessed happy snapper, that in some ways the more significant half of the buying criteria are not the bodies at all, provided they are good enough, but the lenses and the lens quality that is available for the price you want to pay. Maybe you should also focus (sic) on lenses and lighting to help your decision?

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:30 pm 

keenphotoguy wrote:
Leo wrote:

To be honest, am not really fussed about video, am just looking for something that takes really high quality professional grade still shots.

Have had my 500D for over 2 years now and have used the video function on it maybe once.

I agree, I dont use the video function in my 7D either BUT I have been paid to take video for a School cross country, a wedding and a few other things and also ppl out there in the industry want to have film quality lenses wihtout having to spend so much money on movie/video cameras. Compared to video the price of glass is very low and sometimes higher quality than that found on fixed lens video cameras that cost three times as much as a Semi pro SLR.

Thats why its all personal choice. I still still shoot Canon cause I also shoot video for work, but never personally. But if I was only selling photos only I might stay Canon actually too - the only time I see the value of a D800 is the MP. Lowlight ability in the Nikon V Canon Debate in this category of cameras seem moot now. ITs pretty much just what you need. And at the moment I dont need 36 MP... I mean, didnt they used to sell a 1D that was 4MP and that was like OMG 4 million dots... amazing lol. (Because I normally dont crop my photos, and if I do, its very little off the edges.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:47 am 
Bob Andersson wrote:
Hi keenphotoguy,

You've probably noticed that Gordon has both cameras in hand at the moment and you can find links to sample images via the site's home page. I'm still playing catch-up on the feature sets of both bodies but I have heard mention of a silent shooting mode on the 5D3 which might work well at weddings. Does the D800 have that?

Let's assume for a moment that even after Gordon's reviews are published you can't split the D800 and 5D3 and even if you could the differences are so minor that they make no matter, either to you or your customers. It seems to me, a self-confessed happy snapper, that in some ways the more significant half of the buying criteria are not the bodies at all, provided they are good enough, but the lenses and the lens quality that is available for the price you want to pay. Maybe you should also focus (sic) on lenses and lighting to help your decision?

Bob.

Thanks Bob.

You make a very good point. Particularly when I'm familiar with Canon Lenses and am not too familiar with Nikon glass.

Moreover, Nikon lenses are a good $200-300 more than even Canon's "L" lenses, and from the reviews I've seen, Canon Lenses do a very good job.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:54 am 

keenphotoguy wrote:
Bob Andersson wrote:
Hi keenphotoguy,

Bob.

Thanks Bob.

You make a very good point. Particularly when I'm familiar with Canon Lenses and am not too familiar with Nikon glass.

Moreover, Nikon lenses are a good $200-300 more than even Canon's "L" lenses, and from the reviews I've seen, Canon Lenses do a very good job.

Keep in mind that even though Nikkor Glass is just as good as Canon L, they are about 20 years behind in technological advancement than Canon. I still remember my dad talking about how bad Nikon lenses were in the 70s. It probably explains the higher price point of their lenses. They are all on par now anyway, I just love Nikkor glass now - the gap they closed is pretty impressive. I still believe that Canon still make better aespherical and fluorite elements that Nikon has yet to implement as well as canon.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:59 am 

Leo wrote:

D800 has both Headphone jack and Volume control =)

The volume control in the D800 is different in how you work it, but it's there. So even in video mode they are very similar.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:59 am 

Lorride wrote:
Leo wrote:

D800 has both Headphone jack and Volume control =)

The volume control in the D800 is different in how you work it, but it's there. So even in video mode they are very similar.

Correction - thanks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:06 pm 

Hi Leo,

Can I refer you to our request at the end of our forum rules regarding the Quote button:

Quoting a post directly preceding your post without focusing on any specific points that your predecessor made is not recommended as it only bloats your posts and makes the thread less readable for other visitors. If you refer to specific points or refer further back in the thread, quoting is an appropriate tool for reference. So please, use it wisely.

Things got to a point a year or so back where we had to remove the button because it was being continually misused and nested quotes in particular were causing problems. Thanks for your understanding.

Bob.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:15 am 
Leo wrote:
Keep in mind that even though Nikkor Glass is just as good as Canon L, they are about 20 years behind in technological advancement than Canon. I still remember my dad talking about how bad Nikon lenses were in the 70s. It probably explains the higher price point of their lenses. They are all on par now anyway, I just love Nikkor glass now - the gap they closed is pretty impressive. I still believe that Canon still make better aespherical and fluorite elements that Nikon has yet to implement as well as canon.

Really?

I didn't realise that at all.

Nikkor Glass confuses me slightly. I know the difference between FX (Full frame) And DX (Crop) However am not sure of their other Abbreviations; ED? D? G? N? Besides, they have about 4 different 50mm fast prime lenses! Which one is better?? :? at least with Canon it's simple: If you have a full frame 5D or 1D series, forget EF-S Glass and "L" series with the red ring is the best you can buy (unless you buy a nice third party Tokina or Sigma)

I've had more close looks at Gordon's image samples from both cameras and I must admit, I'm still torn. I like the finer sharper detail of the D800, but the noise in the D800 sample images at 1600 ISO leaves me cold. Am not sure if I'll ever need 1600 ISO, however if I'm looking at getting into wedding photography, I guess you have to be prepared for all situations.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:39 pm 

ED is the same as Canon, its a lens element that reduces Chromatic Abberatioins (that purple outline you get around objects sometimes in pictures where the sun is very strong... )

The rest I dont know

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:47 pm 

Hi keenphotoguy,

Being a stranger to Nikon I found this glossary quite useful.

Bob.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:12 am 
Bob Andersson wrote:
Hi keenphotoguy,

Being a stranger to Nikon I found this glossary quite useful.

Bob.

Cheers Bob,

that does clear a few things up.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:14 am 

Hello fellow searcher. So which will it be?
Also, was your mind made up before placing this question- mine would have (and has) been. You occupy the envious position of being 'stuck' choosing between a Lamborghini or a Ferrari. In truth, the 5D2 and D700 are unbelievably good with capabilities beyond the ability of most shutter bugs. New is new however and the feature sets on these cameras is so phenomenal, they both make my head hurt.
Let us know!

How 2 the signature below?
In your profile signature, click on BBCode ( linked under options ) and read up!

Visit MrCliff on Flickr