Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:49 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Advice on film! Nikon FE
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:33 pm 
Hello forum!

I've recently acquired a Nikon FE. It is in excellent condition other than some dirt specks/smug on the mirror and focusing screen. I've just recently developed my first roll. 24 exposures of rebranded Fuji Xperia 400. The shots came out like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daveux/set ... 674419481/

The roll was developed and scanned at a Walmart. The colours came out very nice, but I don't have any experience shooting with old SLRs. Is the faded washout vintage look the way it's suppose to? Is it the character of the old E-series lenses? The film? Or did the processing/scanning went bad.

I know that cameras of 30 yrs of age can have degraded foam for light seals, so I'm also worried on that part.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:48 am 

Dear Davix

OK, then - a number of suggestions, but may be of limited value since I can't see the camera or the actual film.

How old is the film? Older film can degrade.

Exposure correct? (print film has some lattitude, slide film very little) The working of the shutter and aperture are important here, particularly on an older camera.

Has the film been stored in warm/hot conditions (this can affect colours)?

Is the lens clear - no fungus?

As you suggested - light leaks? But it doesn't look too much like this from what I saw. I use 40 year old Minolta SLRss for my photos and the light integrity is perfect - just as good as my 73 year old Leica!!!

Quality of processing - reliable processor?

Quality of scanning at Walmart?

The problem is that there are just so many variables here. One thing - you can apply some corrections in Photoshop but it is better to have a good quality image first. Keep experimenting. I still take film because of its inherent qualities and the fact that it's future proof (can always scan again with better technology!).

Hope that is of some assistance.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:55 am 
This was (I presume) a fresh roll of film from a local drug store. I do have some expired rolls that were given as a friend, but haven't developed any as of now. I will keep experimenting with the camera. And I think I now have an obsession with film. It's simplicity and method of shooting is second to none :D

Thanks for the help Hilary

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:13 am 

Those shots look great in my eyes. Exactly what you can expect of this old legend at first hand ;)

Some of my 35mm film shots:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/57869149@N06/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:47 pm 

The images lack contrast, I suggest cleaning the lens and perhaps checking for fungus.

(they look fine to me, the lack of contrast doesn't bother me, but if you want to prevent it try cleaning)