Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:02 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:44 am 
5D III Microadjustment * (asterix) query.
I would appreciate it if anyone could help with an explanation of the following.
On registering several lens to the 5D III for AF Microadjustment, I have found that some, (most) have an asterix added (automatically by 5D III) to the front of my entered  lens serial no., a few don't.
Page 107 of the camera manual attempts to give an explanation, but I cannot make it out.
Thanks in advance, John.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:21 pm 

Canon 5D Mark III Manual, Page 107:
About the Lens Serial Number
- In the step 3, if "*" appears in front of the 10-digit lens serial
number, you cannot register several copiers of the same lens model.
Even if you enter the serial number , "*" will remain displayed.

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/8/030000734 ... m-c-en.pdf

Basically if you have two lenses that are identical, you will not be able to calibrate both differently (In the circumstances where the "*" is visible), the first one will use the same settings as the other. As far as I understand it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:37 pm 
I appreciate you having a go at making sense of it all, thanks.
The problem is, why are some lens that I have put on the camera producing an * and some not?
After all, I have obviously only one copy of each lens, and its a new camera, so other similar lens to mine could not have been already registered!?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:27 pm 

If I am not mistaken the camera identifies out of the serial number what kind of lens that is connected to it, if the serial number corresponds with it's built in list of lenses it cannot calibrate more than one copy of it will display an "*".

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:17 pm 
As soon as you enter the serial no. In the registration area, and before you get to set the no. (all 0000's already there) it already has set the asterix.
So I think it's to do with the lens model, not the serial no.

Lens number was never auto-extracted.

I spoke to a chap from the shop I purchased the camera from today and he thinks (to be confirmed) thats the camera allows some lens models multiple registration entries while other lens models aren't allowed multiple registration entries, therefore the asterix for the latter.

I'll get back to u on this when he does, thanks.