Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:27 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: GPS Photo Tag Project
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:20 am 
Hi All:) This is my first post here... :)

I'm a student and my summer project involves taking a lot of GEO tagged photos - I have a good budget for it, so i need to find the optimal solution to do it. Basically, i'm going to map some plants and rocks positioned every 1-4 meters from each other.

Every day i'm going to make 1000 photos and i need them to be geotagged with the highest possible accuracy. So I looked at several options, but would really appreciate your expertise.

PRESS of ONE BUTTON (no post processing)

Option 1: built in gps cameras

try 1: Lumix TZ 20 with built in gps

The problem here was that the camera is for tourists so the GPS is slow to update (every N minutes).
To get the current lock one needs to wait 1-3 minutes which means that i need to relock and wait 1-3 minutes after i move to a new position (plant/rock).

try 2: reading on this site i found that Sony has a camera with built in gps and it has the same problem

Option 2: External GPS attached by cable

Try 1: Nikon d3100

Nikon cameras have special GPS slot t connect new Nikon gps device - which costs almost as much as the camera :(

some 3rd part gps are available, but i don't know the accuracy. (advice appreciated)

Garmin eTrex H could be attached too - and my intuition hints that this would give me the best accuracy

Option 3: POST PROCESSING by using Garmin eTrex 10 (or similar) and software to geotag photos later

Garmin eTrx 10 standardly provides 10,000 geo tags/logs but i couldn't fine any information on how many logs are per track.

e.g. if i update the coordinates every 10 seconds in one hour i'll get 360 points and if per track it can only save 500 points it means that i have to do dome additional tricks every 1.5 hrs....

Do you have any info - whether Garmin etrex 10 could save more than 500 points (e.g. all 10k points) in one single track

so i can use it whole day (14 hrs)

Option 4: Open for your suggestions

thanks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:52 am 

Hi Welcome. Where are you based?
How good do the pictures need to be?
Have you seen mapping software that they use when going out in the bush that uses build in maps?

I am thinking that using a camera with gps is the wrong approach, I would be looking at a gps and mapping software.
Have a look at this website, they have maps for various countries. http://www.oziexplorer.com/

I have a unit that I use in the car when we go into the bush that runs detailed maps on fourwheel drive tracks and others.

Canon Powershot S95, Canon 6D,7D, Canon 40 2.8 STM, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 15-85, Canon 85 1.8, Sigma 30 1.4, 50mm 1.8, Canon 100 2.8L Macro, Canon 70-300L +Kenko 1.4 Pro 300DGX, Canon 430EX II and RS 4 Classic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:29 am 
Thanks a lot, I'll need some mapping solutions too. Do you by any chance know any good cartography software?

regarding geotagged photos.
I'll try the new Garmin eTrex 10 (GPS+GLONASS) to collect waypoints every 2 seconds. Then I'll take all the photos. And then will postprocess the photos in a geotagging software. Will let you know how it worked at the end.

Also if anyone knows a good geotagging software that works with eTrex files please let me know...