Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:14 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:24 am 

I will add comments on my first impression here as and when I have spare time (I do not have the writing or analytical skills of Gordon, so please do not expect anything other than some basic opinions on this camera). I have a fashion shoot this weekend where I will use the new camera (assuming it works fine with my strobes/triggers which I will test this evening). I hope it will go well. I will post some of the photos of it once complete and edited.

For now I like:

-AF (hard not to like after using the 5D2 AF for so long) - seems spot on so far, I am really impressed
-viewfinder - big and bright
-build quality - feels more compact and solid compared to the 5D2
-ISO - just wow. I think this is something that the Nikon guys have been enjoying for a while. Love the high ISO quality
-silent shooting - though having a big camera does often draw attention when out shooting in the street, if they do not see you the silent shutter does ensure that they will not notice you due to the loud clunking. This is also going to be so cool for weddings. The clunk of the shutter is definitely unwanted in a church where it really seems to stand out.
-picture quality - so far so good. The standard JPEGS are great and the raw files seem fine; though there are bugs with DPP at the moment and LR does not yet support the 5DIII

What I do not like:
-mode lock button - this is a pain. I was happy with no lock on the 5D2
-picture preview zoom - you need to hit a zoom button then use the scroll wheel by the shutter release button - a pain but I guess I will get used to it

More to come when I have used it more. A couple of shots below. I will add more tonight or tomorrow night when I have time to process them.

This one was from a raw. ISO 8000(you can check the full exif on flickr)

This is a jpg from the camera, processed though LR4. Full exif on flickr.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:19 pm 

I like that 2nd shot. If you haven't already submitted a pic for this month's On Assignment, that one isn't bad.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:41 pm 

Ha ha, thanks - I posted the first one for the on assignment as I like it more:)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:38 pm 

updated with a different photo which has been edited more to my liking, though the photo is not actually usable as the depth of field is too narrow. I edited just because i liked it:)

Last edited by DP-PARIS on Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:20 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:11 pm 
Here are my humble impressions,

but first a little background. I'm no pro and I started shooting in 06 with an Xti(400D), last year I bought a T3i(600D) and the 24-70L. I've wanted a FF since the 5d2 came out but I was a poor college student then. In any case :

awesome:
AF-OMG I love this thing, remember I came from 2 cameras which only have 9AF points and only the center is X-type.
VF-coming from smaller dimmer VF's this is amazing
Build- well again plastic to magnesium body, I will say handling a friends 5d2 the 3 feels a bit more solid, not sure how to put it
ISO- just wants to make me cry haha, the Xti at 1600 was really pushing its noise performance, the t3i was much better, but the 5d3 really blows it out of the water
silent shooting- this was surprisingly much more useful than I thought, my first event was in a church for 2 babies turning 1 year old. It still makes noise but compared to the 5d2 there also the 5d3 was much more quieter.

the bad?
well I may get used to it, but changing the AF modes is a bit weird with the func button
ummm price?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:19 am 

silverphoenix wrote:
the bad?
well I may get used to it, but changing the AF modes is a bit weird with the func button
ummm price?

Check the manual for control customisation. The 7D (virtually the same body) has very customisable controls. You may well be able to move the command onto a button you prefer.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:06 am 

Another sample shot. Note this one was edited with iphoto on an ipad, as I am on hols and my partner is hogging the laptop:)

A light leaking issue has been reported on canon rumours. I have tested and can confirm there is an issue. Not done any extensive analysis yet though, so not sure how much of an impact this will have. Still, I am surprised canon let something like this get by, software issues are to be expected but for hardware they really should be careful as if it is a fundamental issue it will cost them dear for recalls and fixes, if required of course.

I have not seen anything in my images which would suggest there is an issue. It seems to be more on the light meter.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:50 pm 

another one from the photo shoot.

Also, Canon rumours report that Canon has issued a recall of the 5D3. My camera seems to perform fine as far as I can tell, apart from the light leak, which I have not experienced any issues with so far... that I am aware of in any case.