Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:36 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:19 pm 
Whatsup Folks,

As you can see I currently own a really basic Casio EX-FH100 compact, although it is that basic ive made alot of fantastic pictures with it. I'd like to get a step further in photography by moving on to a dSLR. The problem is: I don't know what dSLR to choose.. I know about the Nikon D3100 and the Canon 1100D but I couldnt spot like huge differences in body. The D3100 is now almost 1.5 years old so if a new 1 announces the D3100 or 1100D will probably get a nice price drop so i could afford a dSLR at all. My budget is like 350 euro's and it's maybe enough for body only but not for exceptional lenses. I don't really care about video mode, however it is a must that there IS a video mode and Full HD would be nice to have with it, but I care alot more about image quality. I'm also really into racing photography, I love to go to F1 races on the circuit and shoot with my cam, however that is really hard with my current compact because of the lack of zoom and I get alot of blurry images because shutter speed doesn't act great. Please give me some tips about the right choice :)

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:05 pm 

You can't really go wrong with either though the 1100D can only shoot video in 720p.

With those two bodies, the lens you use will show more of a difference with regards to image quality. I don't imagine using the same lens will show a significant difference in IQ.

Have you held either body in your hands? The ergonomics can often be the deciding factor between two bodies in a similar price range.

Along with the kit lens, you should probably invest in a telephoto zoom reaching a 250-300 maximum focal length as well for F1 photography.

CSCs: Panasonic DMC-GF3
Lenses: Panasonic Lumix G 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:32 pm 
Do you know a shop were lenses arent that expensive? I looked at a big seller and the cheapest 300mm is a Tamron 70-300mm DI Sony KM for 130 euro's. Also, does any lens brand fit on my new dSLR? I see alot of different letters behind the zoom and apperture and I dont really know what it all means, like Canon EF, Nikon -AF-S

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:55 am 

To be honest, you're going to have to set realistic expectations with your budget. For the most part, high IQ and low cost are mutually exclusive. You'll have to compromise one or the other or find middle ground.

Unfortunately for you, each camera manufacturer has its own propietary lens mount so no, the lenses are generally NOT interchangeable across bodies from different brands (the most notable exception is Sony, whose DSLRs and translucent mirror bodies are compatible with some of Minolta's old lenses). Third party lens manufacturers such as Sigma or Tamron make lenses that are compatible with Canon, Nikon and Sony for example but they're still not interchangeable e.g. you can't fit the Nikon-compatible version of a Tamron lens on a Canon body.

"EF" is a Canon lens mount type. Just about any Canon DSLR made since 2003 will support EF lenses. What you need to look out for is EF-S lenses, which are only compatible with the crop-frame sensor e.g. EOS ****D, ***D, **D and 7D.
"AF-S" is one of Nikon's quiet autofocus systems. Most of the terminology and the meanings behind the letters and initialisms can be found quite easily with some research on your part using Google.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:29 pm 
Alright Thx, I went to the store today and held both dSLR's in my hands. The Canon is a bit bigger and heavier and it feels kind of cheap. The Nikon is smaller and also lighter. So I decided to go for the Nikon, I only need to find which lens im gonna buy for F1 photography, then ill buy both of them @ the same time

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:25 pm 

Though a lower weight may seem desirable at first, it can be a disadvantage, especially when you put a 300mm on the front of it, which for some will feel very unbalanced due to a front-heavy weight disparity.

If your heart is set on the D3100 now, is there a specific reason why you want to buy it and a lens at the same time?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:35 pm 
Rorschach wrote:
Though a lower weight may seem desirable at first, it can be a disadvantage, especially when you put a 300mm on the front of it, which for some will feel very unbalanced due to a front-heavy weight disparity.

If your heart is set on the D3100 now, is there a specific reason why you want to buy it and a lens at the same time?

I'm waiting for the D3100 to be 20% off or something so I can take the lens with it at the same time, considering I dont have the money for both yet. And when I get it, should i get the 18-55 kitlens aswel?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:05 pm 

The D3100's successor will probably hit the market long before you see that big a price drop, if you're lucky.

A 70-300mm is no substitute for the 18-55mm kit lens so if you're doing a landscape shot, the 70-300mm will be very impractical at best by comparison.

Gordon has two arguments why buying the kit lens is a good idea, regardless of the fact you may be paying a bit more for a lens you never make use of.
  • A kit lens can help preserve the value if you sell it and the camera on later
  • If your primary lens becomes damaged, you will still have at least something to shoot with, even if it is far from a like-for-like replacement.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:22 pm 
Rorschach wrote:
The D3100's successor will probably hit the market long before you see that big a price drop, if you're lucky.

A 70-300mm is no substitute for the 18-55mm kit lens so if you're doing a landscape shot, the 70-300mm will be very impractical at best by comparison.

Gordon has two arguments why buying the kit lens is a good idea, regardless of the fact you may be paying a bit more for a lens you never make use of.
  • A kit lens can help preserve the value if you sell it and the camera on later
  • If your primary lens becomes damaged, you will still have at least something to shoot with, even if it is far from a like-for-like replacement.

alright alright, maybe an off-topic question: Why are 300mm lenses on dSLR's like 30cm while the lenses on a compact like 20x optical zoom are 5cm??

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:52 pm 

It's mostly down to the fact that DSLRs have much larger sensors than those in compact cameras. Generally speaking, the larger the image sensor, the larger a lens you need to put in front of it, especially if it's a zoom lens.