Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:35 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:21 am 

Hey guys, Im going to start Street Photography in Canberra city and in Sydney I tended to get away with some really up close and personal photographs near China Town once.

I havent done it in more than a decade, and because over 10 years ago I was a teenager still in high school, Im sure I got away with the pictures because I was just a kid. Now that Im older, does anyone know any of the Legal issues of Street photography in say, the streets of Canberra near the shopping districts?

Thanks in advance :)

Leo

4) Leica M [50mm Summicron Pre-aspherical - Silver]

http://www.poetproductions.net

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:46 pm 
Here is a site that may be of help to street photography in Australia.

http://www.overclockers.com.au/wiki/Pho ... _Australia

A few years ago I managed to grab hold of a legal document on taking photos of public places but have misplaced it and can't remember how I accessed it over the internet. It more or less stated that unless denied by police , security and people of authority, you are free to take photographs in public places but also asks you to respect the rights of people who request not to have their photo taken out of common courtesy.

Tom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:48 am 

Here is another useful resource put together by a former solicitor http://4020.net/words/photorights.php

The general gist is that street photography is legal - you can take and sell pictures of people without their permission. Obviously in some specific locations there may be restrictions and being legally in the right doesn't mean someone wont punch you on the nose if you keep taking pictures when they ask you not to. ;)

TomPee wrote:
....It more or less stated that unless denied by police , security and people of authority, you are free to take photographs in public places but also asks you to respect the rights of people who request not to have their photo taken out of common courtesy.

Tom

As the above link points out photography isn't a crime and as such the police have no right to stop you taking photographs in public (unless you are directly interfering in their work). Neither do security people for nearby buildings or other people of authority, whose authority actually doesn't extend to stopping you from doing things that are legal. Nor is it suspicious and as such isn't grounds for the police to search you.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:26 pm 

Awesome advice, thankyou. Im glad someone has links and information to point me in the right direction.

4) Leica M [50mm Summicron Pre-aspherical - Silver]

http://www.poetproductions.net

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:57 am 

People will think you are just another tourist as long as you don't point at kids or girls with short dresses.

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:01 am 

just put on a high vis top and you will be invisible.
Funny how people are ignoring anyone with a high vis thing these days, why not use it to your advantage

Canon Powershot S95, Canon 6D,7D, Canon 40 2.8 STM, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 15-85, Canon 85 1.8, Sigma 30 1.4, 50mm 1.8, Canon 100 2.8L Macro, Canon 70-300L +Kenko 1.4 Pro 300DGX, Canon 430EX II and RS 4 Classic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:09 am 

maxjj wrote:
just put on a high vis top and you will be invisible.
Funny how people are ignoring anyone with a high vis thing these days, why not use it to your advantage

Excellent suggestion - get one with "Security" written on it in big letters. Anyone comes over to hassle you just say "You can't stand there mate... move along".

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:35 pm 

When in doubt, just ask permission! Or consult a travel guide or something. A country's policies can change in unpredictable ways and you can never tell what will happen next.