Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:38 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:52 pm 

Yeah, size and weight is something that I constantly complain about. And Nikon obviously must have heard something similar from its customers: at least the D800 is lighter than the D700. But certainly not as small and light as a Leica M9 :?
All other cameras that are significantly smaller and lighter than a D800 are not FX/FF. So today you would really need to give up on 24x36mm sensor format to get there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:59 pm 
I wonder what's going to happen with the Leica/Kodak relationship since Kodak is in bankruptcy. Doesn't Kodak make the Leica M9 sensor? I imagine Kodak wil emerge from bankruptcy smaller and more focused on their core/profitable business...I hope. They need to get out of the cheap point and shoot market and I think they have now.

Post subject: Re: Why oh why!!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:06 pm 
You said it your self you love your D 700 so why spend a lot of
money you have a full frame DSLR and ultimately it's the
operator and a good lens which are the most important !

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:57 am 
I also have the D700, but have pre-ordered the D800. Personally I wanted a D4 in a D800 body, so I didn't really get what I wanted, BUT, the D700 for me, I never felt that I didn't have enough fps for shooting fast action. 6fps was enough for me with the D700. I'll be getting the same fps with the D800 in DX mode, so I haven't really lost anything in the speed dpt. I also checked out the high iso raw samples posted on a certain site ahem..and was impressed. So what am I gaining? Improved metering, improved af, not that they weren't good to begin with, more mp meaning more reach if I want to shoot sports in DX mode at 6fps, and video recording. So either way for me it's win win in a sense.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:49 am 

Could you not of just bought the MB-D10 battery grip and boosted your fps to 8? I feel 8 fps is sufficient for shooting fast action. Having seen some high iso images i must say i am impressed considering the high mega pixel count. Can see myself buying it in the long run.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:58 pm 
I could, but I wanted more than the 5mp the D700 offers in DX mode. I wanted a second FX body, so if I ever need 8fps, I'll get the grip for the D700 and shoot FX for close subjects, and DX mode with the D800 when I need the reach. I seldom ever shoot higher than Iso 3200, and I can't see a high iso D800s being cheaper than £2100. Look at it this way, I would have liked a D400 with D700+ iso, but this way, I get a second FX body, the ability to shoot DX with similar Iso to my D700 and mp of a D400 say, video, the AF system from the D4 and so on. I can't really say it was my dream camera, but who knows, maybe it will grow on me.